Join 3,524 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

whistling wonders
February 13, 2011 7:58 AM   Subscribe

Geert Chatrou is a whistling maestro. Mozart's Queen of the Night | Czardas Monti. Other amazing whistling and whistlers inside.

If I Were A Blackbird - Ronnie Ronalde | Whistler's Brother YT channel | Early 1900's
Whistling Music Recordings from Victrola (1904 - 1922)
| Geert's website

Linda Parker Hamilton The Northern Nightingale, End of the World.

Whistling Tom

Chihaya Kosugiyama, the 10-year-old winner of the children's title at the 34th International Whistlers Convention in North Carolina (and her much cuddled poodle sidekick).

Whistle While You Work - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Pucker Up and Whistle

The International Whistling Convention in Louisburg, North Carolina, the world's whistling capital

Whistling caterpillar

Whistling Jack Smith
- I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman

Roger Whittaker - Pretty Bird 1977

Whistled language of the island of La Gomera (Canary Islands), the Silbo Gomero | in Turkey

Bird song whistle

Bonus link: How to Whistle with Your Fingers

Previously and previously.
posted by nickyskye (11 comments total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Holy shit. Chatrou is incredible. I expected to see something impressive -- I figured, hey, I bet if somebody spent a lot of time practicing whistling, they could get pretty good at it.

But I really hadn't realized how good that would be. It's not just Chatrou's range or speed that's impressive, but his articulation—the musicality he brings to the performance is right up there with a virtuoso of any other instrument. That articulation, that ability to whistle so precisely it sounds like he's pressing a key on a woodwind, is just astounding.

I think I'm going to spend an hour trying to finger whistle now, and I think I'm going to fail just like I've failed the several previous times I've tried.
posted by pts at 8:19 AM on February 13, 2011

Spaghetti western parrot.
posted by StickyCarpet at 8:26 AM on February 13, 2011

DJ Riko - Whistler's Delight - available for download and purchase on DJ Riko's page.
posted by knile at 8:30 AM on February 13, 2011

Wow. I consider myself a proficient whistler*, but Chatrou hits high notes beyond those for which I have to resort to whistling through my teeth. I can't get anywhere near his upper range.

Still, I am rather proud of the fact I can trill and make it sound like I'm whistling 2 notes at once. (Essentially, moving the tongue as if saying "la" while whistling.)

* In music school, I had lobbied to be allowed to whistle instead of sing for sight-singing classes. Alas, my request was denied and I was stuck having to transpose every exercise into which ever key would be mangled the least.
posted by Wossname at 8:39 AM on February 13, 2011

I'll offer up Andrew Bird, one of my favorite whistlers.
posted by dobbs at 8:55 AM on February 13, 2011 [2 favorites]

That is quite the dream - to whistle away while a whole orchestra backs you up. Also, I did not think I'd say it, but Chatrou rocks.
posted by Laotic at 2:46 PM on February 13, 2011

Wow. Just wow.

(Also Andrew Bird...wow. Thanks dobbs.)
posted by angiep at 3:44 PM on February 13, 2011

Slamming post, nickyskye. The 10-year-old Chihaya-chan, that you linked to above, can be seen and heard in this clip with one of Japan's best beatboxers. It's an unbeatable duo, destined for greatness.

Meanwhile, keeping things on-island, our man Geert totally kicks everyone else's whistling ass at The International Whistling Convention in Japan

My own far-from-virtuosic-but-perhaps-nonetheless-of-interest ventures into whistling may be heard incorporated into a tune I posted a while back here at Mefi Music: Bring Me the Head of Elmo.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 3:53 PM on February 13, 2011 [1 favorite]

Omg, that whistling beatbox combo is fun. Thanks flapjax.
posted by nickyskye at 5:17 PM on February 13, 2011

You know, I think this is my all time whistling favorite. It may not be virtuosic, per se, but it's so soulful, and it sounds so good, so full. Alessandroni has such a rich tone to his whistling. I'd love to know what mic they used to record it.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 5:22 PM on February 13, 2011

Ooh, that's a goodie, thanks again.
posted by nickyskye at 5:34 PM on February 13, 2011

« Older "I am someone who has never taken an art class in ...  |  The lemurs are hungry, a new f... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments