That's gotta be a class thing. I meet people in their early 20's who are raising kids and living on benefits every week.
It's been an almost universal rule of civilization that girls became women simply by reaching physical maturity, but boys had to pass a test. They needed to demonstrate courage, physical prowess or mastery of the necessary skills.
Today, however, with women moving ahead in our advanced economy, husbands and fathers are now optional, and the qualities of character men once needed to play their roles—fortitude, stoicism, courage, fidelity—are obsolete, even a little embarrassing.
For women, the central task usually involved the day-to-day rearing of the next generation; for men, it involved protecting and providing for their wives and children.
- "young men were tuning in to cable channels ... whose shows reflected... puerile shallowness"
- "Single men... continue to be more troubled and less successful "
- "treat women like disposable estrogen toys"
- "... We are sick of hooking up with guys"
- "Women put up with him for a while, but then in fear and disgust either give up on any idea of a husband and kids"
« Older "Danny and Annie Perasa tell the story of their tw... | • London Boys vs Autechre... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt