Lost City of atlantis
March 13, 2011 7:45 AM   Subscribe

A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis. The legendary metropolis was believed to have been swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.
posted by TheBones (9 comments total)

This post was deleted for the following reason: this is wicked thin sort of fake-science news that's riding on the page rank for the word tsunami I'm afraid. -- jessamyn

Gotta' love the Reuters "report." Looks to me like a thinly veiled P.R. release for the National Geographic Channel's upcoming program, "Finding Atlantis," airing tonight.
posted by drwhitt at 7:52 AM on March 13, 2011 [1 favorite]

Finding Atlantis is like figuring out a magic trick: you want to know where it is and what happened, but when you do find out, it loses the magic. So I kinda hope this isn't Atlantis..
posted by Deflagro at 8:01 AM on March 13, 2011

Although I studied only a little about Spain in my archaeology days in college, I did pick up an instinct for when something smells wrong about an archaeological news story, and I'm using it right now.
posted by Countess Elena at 8:01 AM on March 13, 2011

obligatory slyt
posted by warbaby at 8:03 AM on March 13, 2011

Looks to me like a thinly veiled P.R. release for the National Geographic Channel's upcoming program

Amazing everyone was able to keep a lid on the news until the show was finished, edited and made ready for production. Sad to see the leak come out just a day before and ruin the surprise.
posted by yerfatma at 8:08 AM on March 13, 2011

Gotta' love the Reuters "report."

Yes my favorite part being the tenth or so graf when they finally point out that ATLANTIS DOESN'T EXIST.

This is a cool find and all but it's annoying that they're phrasing it like this to appeal to the fantasy literature set. It's like finding an awesome horned dinosaur skeleton or something and putting out a release that say HAY GUYS NO WAI WE DISCOVERED UNICORN. No, no you didn't. But thanks for hurting science.
posted by XQUZYPHYR at 8:09 AM on March 13, 2011 [3 favorites]

Pretty sure Atlantis is actually just a metaphor.

Maybe they found it... IN THE HUMAN HEART?
posted by Artw at 8:10 AM on March 13, 2011 [4 favorites]

I've been to Atlantis, it's not that great. It's hot, the traffic's bad, and everything has a freaking Coke label slapped on it.

Wait...
posted by phunniemee at 8:13 AM on March 13, 2011

No, a woman's heart is as deep at the ocean.

WHICH SWALLED ATLANTIS, AMIRITE?!
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 8:13 AM on March 13, 2011

« Older Please Support Genetic Freedom   |   The Master Theorem Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments