Never has something more accurately been called a teaser trailer
April 23, 2011 4:11 PM Subscribe
posted by codacorolla (46 comments total)
14 users marked this as a favorite
is a recently announced game that is currently in closed alpha. It is similar in play style to the Internet favorite Minecraft
, and previously-er
, and previously-er
), except it operates in a 2D, sidescrolling world. Players harvest resources to craft items and structures to defend themselves against enemies. A teaser trailer is available here
, and a more extensive gameplay trailer is available here
. The developers are currently uploading "let's play" videos on to their youtube account: part one here
, and part two here
.This thread on minecraftnews has a little more information.
The current thread about the game over at the official minecraft forums.
Notch, Minecraft's original developer, tweeted about the game here, which seems to be the way that it's spread.
Here is a bulleted list of features in the game, compiled by me, since most information so far is contained in video format:
- Resource harvesting similar to minecraft: hack a tree with an axe to produce wood and acorns. Hack stone with a pickaxe to produce gravel.
- Randomly generated worlds.
- Water that operates according to gameworld physics.
- Crafting is similar to Minecraft, with a bench being built first to build more complex items.
- Trees can be planted from acorns.
- The mouse pointer seems to be the main way that player interact with the world, and appears to be context sensitive.
- Lots of monsters, spawning depending on the current area of the map.
- There's actual currency that can be dropped by monsters, or found through exploration.
- NPCs with different functions in the game world. So far a merchant, and a newbie guide.
- Interactive block elements, such as doors.
- Dynamic lighting, with light emanating from held torches.
Day / Night cycle with monster waves appearing at night.
- Special walls can be placed to prevent monsters from spawning in structures.
- Depending on how structures are built, different NPCs (a merchant, for example) will spawn, NPC spawning can also depend on other factors, such as total ammount of money held by players on a server.
- Moon phases will affect monster behavior. Normally zombies will slowly try to destroy doors, but during a 'blood moon' they will be able to open them.
- Moon phases will also cause different special events to occur, such as giant boss monsters.
- Platforms can be built that allow walking across or jumping through depending on how the player interacts with them.
- Bombs, jetpacks, grappling hooks, and guns, among other items.