Join 3,434 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

John C. Lilly dies.
October 3, 2001 2:33 PM   Subscribe

John C. Lilly dies. Inventor of the isolation tank and pioneer of dolphin/human communications and all around cool counterculture guy. He will be missed. [Lilly homepage]
posted by skallas (6 comments total)

Ah finally someone posted this (didn't want to post too much, the site is so slow). Programming and MetaProgramming the Human Biocomputer was an important book for me when I was a teenager. He may be appreciated more in this century than the last.
posted by aflakete at 3:30 PM on October 3, 2001

Very sad. I once met John when I was about 14 or 15. A brilliant but nutty scientist, just like you'd expect. Got to meet his dolphins and seals. He really was ahead of his time. Probably still is.

sigh
posted by billder at 4:21 PM on October 3, 2001

Programming and MetaProgramming the Human Biocomputer was an important book for me when I was a teenager.

Me too, aflakete. Great book. John Lilly's vision scanned horizons that most of us have only begun to imagine.

billder, did you get the chance to have a conversation with one of the dolphins?
posted by bragadocchio at 5:19 PM on October 3, 2001

"The Scientist" was the diary of a Ketamine-crazed crackpot; yet, I think it may turn out to be the truth about us.

We may be evolving into a silicon-based lifeform. Lilly thought he was in touch with distant civilizations that had made the transition from messy carbon/water-based lifeforms to clean clear silicon-based lifeforms.

The signs are all over. He may have been right. May he rest in death.
posted by kozad at 8:09 PM on October 3, 2001

"The Scientist" was the diary of a Ketamine-crazed crackpot; yet, I think it may turn out to be the truth about us.

We may be evolving into a silicon-based lifeform. Lilly thought he was in touch with distant civilizations that had made the transition from messy carbon/water-based lifeforms to clean clear silicon-based lifeforms.

The signs are all over. He may have been right. May he rest in death.
posted by kozad at 8:10 PM on October 3, 2001

did you get the chance to have a conversation with one of the dolphins?

they said "so long and thanks for all the fish"
posted by billder at 9:08 PM on October 3, 2001

« Older Superbad...  |  He... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments