Join 3,438 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Theatre geeks rejoice!
January 25, 2012 5:41 PM   Subscribe

Susan Blackwell is an American actress, writer and singer, best known for playing herself in the musical [title of show].[1] The web series "Side by Side by Susan Blackwell" chronicles her unconventional encounters with Broadway celebrities: sorting laundry with Daniel Radcliffe, feeding goats with Jonathan Groff, researching rectal surgeries with Norbert Leo Butz, naming dogs with Zachary Quinto and consulting a ouija board with Andrew Rannells, to name a few.

Susan's on-camera persona blends genuine fandom with a hugely exaggerated self-image (and a heaping helping of innuendo). The full list of "Side by Side" episodes follows:
  1. Sutton Foster, Jonathan Groff, Laura Benanti
  2. Gavin Creel, Kelli O'Hara, Beth Leavel
  3. Will Swenson, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Andrea Martin
  4. J. Robert Spencer, Karen Olivo, Constantine Maroulis
  5. Robin de Jesús, Katie Finneran, Chad Kimball
  6. Jesse Tyler Ferguson
  7. Broadway Flea Market 2010
  8. Broadway on Broadway 2010
  9. Zachary Quinto
  10. Emily Skinner
  11. Josh Gad
  12. Norbert Leo Butz
  13. Easter Bonnet 2011
  14. Billy Crudup
  15. [title of show]'s Hunter Bell, Jeff Bowen, and Heidi Blickenstaff
  16. Jonathan Groff
  17. Broadway Flea Martket 2011
  18. Daniel Radcliffe
  19. Joanna Gleason
  20. Andrew Rannells
posted by Zephyrial (5 comments total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Well, I admit I've only watched the Daniel Radcliffe one so far, because he's the only name I recognized (I know, I know). It was great. Hilarious, original, relaxed. I'll likely watch a few more just because she gives such a great interview. Thanks!
posted by gilrain at 6:22 PM on January 25, 2012

I find her a little annoying, but I'm willing to overlook it for interviews with my favorite folks!
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 6:36 PM on January 25, 2012

Susan is awesome. I love the research she does in advance of her interviews. And yes. She's that funny in real life.
posted by scolford at 7:54 PM on January 25, 2012

Agreed, scolford. I met her at the stagedoor for [title of show] and (like a big dork) just said, "I love you." Without missing a beat, she replied, "You have exquisite taste."
posted by Zephyrial at 8:52 PM on January 25, 2012 [1 favorite]

Oh, I needed dumb-funny by smart people tonight! Thanks!
posted by Bibliogeek at 9:52 PM on January 25, 2012

« Older Alex Gross converts antique cabinet card portraits...  |  Nicol Williamson passed away o... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments