Join 3,433 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

The Winter's Tale [SLYT]
February 7, 2012 2:26 PM   Subscribe

The Winter's Tale [SLYT] A splendid one-person (+dog+sockpuppet) rendition of Shakespeare's play.

"Do I have any other hidden family!?"
posted by odinsdream (15 comments total) 13 users marked this as a favorite

This is excellent and she should do all Shakespeare.
posted by Ghostride The Whip at 2:35 PM on February 7, 2012

"Rich people...am I right!?"

This was fucking brilliant. And I agree with GTW, she should do all of Shakespeare.
posted by Fizz at 2:56 PM on February 7, 2012

Exit pursued by a bear.
posted by shakespeherian at 3:00 PM on February 7, 2012 [2 favorites]

What's a phone, even?
posted by incandenza at 3:03 PM on February 7, 2012

Hmm. I'm torn. I like it in general, but I wish it were two minutes shorter and that she was less obvious about trying for comedy. I think the comedy would have been funnier, to whit, if she didn't seem to be trying to be funny.

That said, I recommend it, added a "like" to the video, and thinks it definitely worth a watch. I suspect that if she does do other Shakespeare plays, she'll be able to make them even better than this one, so I hope she does more, too.
posted by Joey Michaels at 3:07 PM on February 7, 2012

So what happened to the box of Lemon Bars at the beginning?
posted by Toekneesan at 5:37 PM on February 7, 2012

She's done Cymbeline too.

Also: holy shit, she's 14 years old.
posted by neroli at 7:14 PM on February 7, 2012

As much as she's awesome and this is awesome, Cymbeline and Winter's Tale are like my two least favorite Shakespeare things. Someone make her do The Tempest.
posted by shakespeherian at 9:34 PM on February 7, 2012

So, she's charming as hell and erudite as, well, as all hell and clearly intelligent in ways my modest gray matter will never be even if given a solid einsteinian gray matter transplant and overall she's just immediately visible as one of those really rare and glowing and effervescent people that end up living endlessly fulfilling lives composed of deeply important and rich experiences and where basically her whole life is one huge thrilling artwork from morning to night that lasts in the collective mind of generations and who I will probably be able to say in the future , yeah, sure her latest work is great, but I was watching her early shakespearian tube videos when she was just 14?
So. What.
posted by Plutocratte at 12:34 AM on February 8, 2012

As much as she's awesome and this is awesome, "Cymbeline" and "Winter's Tale" are like my two least favorite Shakespeare things. Someone make her do "The Tempest."

This isn't even remotely a criticism. We all like what we like. But I'm surprised. I've never met anyone with your tastes before. I LOVE Shakespeare's late Romances. (I've directed all three plays you've mentioned.) Most people I've met either love the Romances in general or aren't into any of them.

"Cymbeline" is far less polished than the other two, though there's still a lot of wonderful in it.

Had I this cheek
To bathe my lips upon; this hand, whose touch,
Whose every touch, would force the feeler's soul
To the oath of loyalty; this object, which
Takes prisoner the wild motion of mine eye,
Fixing it only here; should I, damn'd then,
Slaver with lips as common as the stairs
That mount the Capitol; join gripes with hands
Made hard with hourly falsehood--falsehood, as
With labour; then by-peeping in an eye
Base and unlustrous as the smoky light
That's fed with stinking tallow; it were fit
That all the plagues of hell should at one time
Encounter such revolt.

But, for my money, "Winter's Tale" the "Tempest" are perfect plays.

What don't you like about "Cymbeline" and "Winter's Tale"?
posted by grumblebee at 1:07 PM on February 8, 2012

I mostly can't stand the characters in 'Cymbeline.' They all seem pretty one-dimensional. That added to the weirdo Jupiter scene at the end makes it feel, to me, like a play Shakespeare wrote in junior high or something.

'Winter's Tale' is better, but I'm one of those guys who thinks the juncture between the tragedy at the beginning and the comedy at the end is just sort of weirdly handled and makes the play feel kind of shapeless. YMMV.
posted by shakespeherian at 1:25 PM on February 8, 2012

You mean the Bohemia scenes, right? Not the very end?

Because the end, when played well, is heartbreaking -- Leontes, now a broken man, meeting the beloved wife who, due to his own jealousies, he hasn't seen in 15 years ... Hermione meeting the child she never knew. It was such a challenging scene to rehearse, and many people in the audience wept through it as the actors couldn't hold back their tears.

"O, she's warm!"
posted by grumblebee at 8:11 PM on February 8, 2012

Right not the very end. What is it, IV.v? It's been a few years and I am too lazy to look it up.
posted by shakespeherian at 8:12 PM on February 8, 2012

I also suspect -- or maybe hope, because I want to think the play can work -- that you feel as you do about Jupiter because you've never seen a really good Posthumus Leonatus. I agree it's silly, on the face of it, that a god appears, but it can be effective if Leonatus falls on his knees, falls on his face, prostrates himself and PLEADS...

Gods are more full of mercy. Must I repent?
If of my freedom 'tis the main part, take
No stricter render of me than my all.
For Imogen's dear life take mine

It can be very affecting if the actor seems to really, really believe in the gods and to really be BEGGING them -- and if the whole production (and all the actors), leading up to this, have seriously evoked a world in which gods exist, or at least one where you buy that they passionately believe in gods. There are many places in the play where honest actors can make this happen.

But if the Jupiter moment can work at all, it absolutely CAN'T work unless you believe that Leonatus has ripped out his heart and offered it to the heavens.
posted by grumblebee at 8:21 PM on February 8, 2012

"Winter's Tale" goes back and forth between Sicilia, whether the tone is tragedy, and Bohemia, where it's comedy.

It has some of the most amazing language in the canon, especially when Shakespeare is writing Leonte's madness. Amazing experiments, pushing the boundaries of blank verse -- sometimes toppling over the boundaries.
posted by grumblebee at 8:25 PM on February 8, 2012

« Older A documentary by Ariel Nasr, "The Boxing Girls of ...  |  How to go from fit to fat in 5... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments