Join 3,494 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

be mine
February 13, 2012 11:38 PM   Subscribe

So many (free, online) ways to celebrate (or not) Valentine's Day: a declaration of romantic intent - 14 ways an economist says "I love you" -

cerebral itch ("bitter and/or hilarious") - xkcd - The Oatmeal's horrible cards - CollegeHumor TV valentines: Sherlock, Community, etc. - Star Wars - Breaking Bad - Doctor Who - It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia printables - True Blood (NSFW) - Starcraft - Starcraft II - Skyrim 1 & 2 - Mass Effect - Gears of War - DC Comics (NSFWish) - Zelda - Darth Vader - Magneto - Skybound comics: Walking Dead, Thief Of Thieves, Invincible, Super Dinosaur - Harry Potter 1 & 2 - The Walking Dead (TV version) - steampunk - Pokeman fanart

cleveland plain dealer printables - monterey bay aquarium - kate spade - cats & dogs - date 'em or diss 'em by virginmobile.ca - someecards - yourecards (NSFW) - wrongcards - JibJab - hipstercards

mini hipster cute! printables - printable pop-up heart with accessories - mini robot printables - owl printable - spooky pooky kawaii food printables & lonely little monster printables - "you rock" printable - geeky printables - hello!lucky printables

scarymommy preschool joke cards - bigfatwhale.com comic - 10 years of Newt's valentines - greeting cards for the socially challenged - i will love you forever - nataliedee 1 & 2 & 3 - waxy.org Tetris valentine - Golden Girls valentines

previously: 2010 (Cerebus valentines); 2008 (SCIENCE! valentines); 2007 (Anti-Valentines); 2003 ("creepy cloying valentines" etc. by mjjj); 2002 (the valentine candy heart generator)
posted by flex (28 comments total) 28 users marked this as a favorite

I found that "pickyou" graphic at the end of the economist page very sweet, and I'm sending it to my wife!
posted by alasdair at 11:46 PM on February 13, 2012

14 Ways an Economist Says I Love You

How do I love thee? Let me graph the ways.
posted by twoleftfeet at 11:50 PM on February 13, 2012 [2 favorites]

Perfect surprise for my economist husband! Thanks!
posted by chapps at 11:52 PM on February 13, 2012

And if you have no one to which you want to give a Valentine, the Mass Effect 3 demo just came out...
posted by the_artificer at 12:10 AM on February 14, 2012 [2 favorites]

I love you a Google
posted by twoleftfeet at 12:16 AM on February 14, 2012 [2 favorites]

Hodor!
posted by rewil at 12:32 AM on February 14, 2012 [3 favorites]

Savage Chickens: Carl Jung valentine; zombie valentine
10 Zombie Valentine's Day cards
I chew-chew-chews you zombie valentine card
posted by flex at 12:39 AM on February 14, 2012

Needs the freestuff tag.
posted by Effigy2000 at 1:03 AM on February 14, 2012

Nothing says be mine like a 55 gallon drum of Passion Natural Water-Based Lubricant.
posted by gman at 3:32 AM on February 14, 2012 [7 favorites]

Ha, no frigging joke, I am an economist and I just left a venn diagram on our home whiteboard with intersecting circles of "best friend" "lover" "beach volleyball doubles partner" as my first expression of love of the day for when she wakes up. "You" is the intersection.

My goodness we're predictable.
posted by Rodrigo Lamaitre at 4:09 AM on February 14, 2012 [2 favorites]

Oh, and for you pics or it didn't happen type, pic.
posted by Rodrigo Lamaitre at 4:14 AM on February 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

architect valentines

and for the architect who's alone today and is a Ryan Gosling fan
posted by notseamus at 4:52 AM on February 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

The economist one has a couple really sweet drawings, even for a non-economist.
posted by Forktine at 5:50 AM on February 14, 2012

Uncannily enough, this one was what I said in my wedding vows to Shepherd. (Minus the Valentine's Day bit.)
posted by Kitteh at 6:05 AM on February 14, 2012

David Lynch's Dune (self-link)
posted by Legomancer at 6:16 AM on February 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

Fed valentines
posted by shothotbot at 6:49 AM on February 14, 2012

Oops, forgot Downton Abbey
posted by shothotbot at 6:51 AM on February 14, 2012

Some pretty weird ones from Retronaut. Is it possible that the one about 2/3 the way down is a reference to Fletcher Hanks' Stardust?
posted by cmoj at 7:03 AM on February 14, 2012

Ways an Economist Says I Love You

Dismally?
posted by octobersurprise at 7:05 AM on February 14, 2012

This one isn't all that romantic. Basically, he's saying "Every successive minute I spend with you gives me the same amount of utility as the previous minute." For maximum panty-removing power, the slope's magnitude should be increasing.
posted by 3FLryan at 7:32 AM on February 14, 2012 [2 favorites]

Newt Gingrich shares a chuckle with reporters over Valentine's sexy times.
posted by octobersurprise at 8:54 AM on February 14, 2012

Normally, the only links I refuse to click are those to medical abnormalities and particularly heinous sounding spider. But no way I'm clicking that Newt link.
posted by benito.strauss at 9:51 AM on February 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

NPR Valentines (You're the talk of my nation.)
posted by schmod at 10:14 AM on February 14, 2012

Sorry to be That Person, but the Breaking Bad Valentines (round 1, round 2) were done by Beth/butthorn and were just reposted by Pleated Jeans. She also has some cute Arrested Development ones too, if you're into that.
posted by Flamingo at 10:23 AM on February 14, 2012

Found this just a short while ago... it's violent, twisted and best of all she gets an arrow to the knee.
posted by Zack_Replica at 12:43 PM on February 14, 2012

Ben Kling's comic valentines: drugs, dictators, philosophers, other famous historical people... Troy & Abed
posted by flex at 4:28 PM on February 14, 2012

I've noticed way more locats and such this Valentine's Day, thanks flex!
posted by jeffburdges at 8:58 AM on February 15, 2012

I thought the "pickyou" one was funny, because doesn't it mean that no other economist would want $recipient?
posted by purplecrackers at 12:57 PM on February 15, 2012

« Older Nevermore?...  |   NEW DELUXE TRANSIENT ROOMS WI... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments