Skip

Nie ufaj nikomu przez 30 lat.
February 23, 2012 6:01 PM   Subscribe

Piotr Czerski sets out a Polish manifesto demanding respect for the internet generation (translated from the original Polish) that is reminiscent of a Eastern European addition to previous internet manifestos. Poland is somewhere this has definite roots however, with a recent anti-ACTA protest of over 10,000 people and legislators wear anon masks in parliament.
posted by jaduncan (11 comments total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

According to this (a translation of his Polish Wikipedia entry), Piotr was born in 1981. Mosaic was released when he was 12.
posted by el io at 7:05 PM on February 23, 2012

These so-called "web kids" are ancient blowhards who waste my time. My generation says don't trust any manifesto over 140 characters. So I b
posted by twoleftfeet at 9:03 PM on February 23, 2012 [1 favorite]

This is one of those articles where I wish I could take a pen to the margins and flesh out the "yes, but..." sense I get reading it.
posted by postcommunism at 9:25 PM on February 23, 2012

This is one of those articles where I wish I could take a pen to the margins and flesh out the "yes, but..." sense I get reading it.

You could write about it here. I for one would like to know what you think.
posted by ahzee at 9:34 PM on February 23, 2012

I am very happy to be just young enough, and to have had the opportunities early in life, to piggyback with this cohort of new people. When I was 6 or 7 my dad convinced the phone company to buy a radio shack (or similar) microcomputer for study purposes. He built it on the kitchen table, and spent hours programming it so the little row of LEDs (the only output) would flash in different patterns. This was maybe 1973?
posted by Meatbomb at 11:17 PM on February 23, 2012

The ability to find information is to us something as basic, as the ability to find a railway station or a post office in an unknown city is to you. When we want to know something [...] we take measures with the certainty of a driver in a SatNav-equipped car. We know that we are going to find the information we need in a lot of places, we know how to get to those places, we know how to assess their credibility. We have learned to accept that instead of one answer we find many different ones, and out of these we can abstract the most likely version, disregarding the ones which do not seem credible. We select, we filter, we remember, and we are ready to swap the learned information for a new, better one, when it comes along.
Counterpoint:
Regardless of the advanced-search capabilities of the database they were querying, “Students generally treated all search boxes as the equivalent of a Google search box, and searched ‘Google-style,’ using the ‘any word anywhere’ keyword as a default,” they wrote. Out of the 30 students Duke and Asher observed doing research, 27 failed to narrow their search criteria at all when doing so would have turned up more helpful returns.

Unsurprisingly, students using this method got either too many search results or too few. Frequently, students would be so discouraged they would change their research topic to something more amenable to a simple search.
(Bonus SatNav-certainty lulz: 1, 2, 3)
posted by hades at 12:42 AM on February 24, 2012

Counter-counter point. I don't do that, and nor do any of the students I know who graduated with me. My sample size is actually bigger than that of the study.
posted by jaduncan at 1:28 AM on February 24, 2012

Of course, because of the shift in assumptions about how a search box should operate, lots of search boxes now do accommodate Google-style searches (especially, of course, the many that are actually powered by Google). When I'm confronted with a search box, my first inclination is to use it Google-style, just because it's easier and requires fewer keystrokes and clicks. Of course, I know enough that once I get the results I can look at them and say, "Hm, that didn't work," and modify my search accordingly.
posted by Faint of Butt at 2:11 AM on February 24, 2012

From the Counterpoint article:
Students regularly used JSTOR to try to find current research on a topic, not realizing that JSTOR does not provide access to the most recently published articles.
Which exactly illustrates the whole problem. Why should people born in the Internet era expect JSTOR not to carry the most recently published articles? I happen to understand it because I was trained in the old ways and I know how JSTOR works but that's a relic from a former era, not something that makes any sort of sense today. The fact that this is surprising to the researchers tells more about the researchers themselves than it tells about the students. Could anyone imagine that Metafilter FPPs show up in Google years (instead of minutes) after they're published?
posted by elgilito at 2:43 AM on February 24, 2012 [2 favorites]

Right. The fact that JSTOR is not current (except in some paid-access cases) is completely counterintuitive. Which is why I read a manifesto about how "we know how this stuff works" and think "no, you know how it ought to work" and go off muttering about Dunning-Kruger.

I work with college students. Many of the questions I hear could be answered in seconds by one of the first three google results on the first search I try. So what's going wrong there? (To be fair, this is also the case for faculty and staff, but at leas they aren't writing manifestos about how good they are at finding and filtering information. Mostly.)
posted by hades at 9:32 AM on February 24, 2012

Remembering [media we enjoyed in childhood], exchanging them, and developing them is to us something as natural as the memory of ‘Casablanca’ is to you.
Casablanca came out in 1943. If this is addressed to people in their 80s, maybe I need to change my perspective on how I'm reading it.
There is not a trace in us of that humble acceptance displayed by our parents, who were convinced that administrative issues were of utmost importance and who considered interaction with the state as something to be celebrated. We do not feel that respect, rooted in the distance between the lonely citizen and the majestic heights where the ruling class reside, barely visible through the clouds.
My parents (well, their cohort, anyway) occupied People's Park in Berkeley and had the National Guard set on them at Kent State. I'm 37 years old. I'm not a kid by any stretch of the imagination. But this is clearly not written for me. Maybe it's because I'm not Eastern European. Or maybe it's because this was written by someone much closer to my age than to the age of the "digital native" kids I see every day.
posted by hades at 9:57 AM on February 24, 2012

« Older Kermit?   |   Model Polaroids Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments