President Obama cracks down on for-profit recruiting of veterans.
April 27, 2012 12:28 PM Subscribe
posted by Scientist (52 comments total)
10 users marked this as a favorite
Today, President Obama signed an executive order
which places stricter disclosure requirements on recruiters for for-profit schools looking to recruit veterans and soldiers. The move comes amid growing concern among state and federal legislators
that for-profit educational institutions are doing more harm than good and are employing predatory recruiting practices
especially on veterans who are exiting the military and looking to improve their education through the Post-9/11 GI Bill
.The order itself can be found here.
This quote from the Army Times link lays out the order's bottom line:
Obama’s order requires schools receiving the GI Bill or other Defense Department-funded veterans educational benefits or tuition assistance to disclose more information to students using military tuition assistance, including a breakdown of the percentage of service members and veterans who complete courses or degrees, according to White House officials.
Among the order's other highlights, again from Army Times:
- Schools that receive GI Bill or tuition assistance will be required to have academic and financial counselors for service members and veterans and to ease policies for enrollment, re-enrollment and refunds if military-related duties interfere with classes.
- The government will attempt to trademark the term “GI Bill” so unscrupulous institutions will be prevented from using the name in advertising and on websites.
- Schools with overly aggressive or unscrupulous recruiting practices will be barred from military bases, blocking access to prospective students.
- A centralized complaint system will be created, with access to investigators, prosecutors and policymakers who enforce the law and regulations.
- Schools that fully comply with federal rules will be listed on a federal website, such as the Veterans Affairs Department’s GI Bill website, while schools that don’t comply will be excluded from listings.
Might this be the beginning of a wider government crackdown on for-profit higher education?