The place was known as Coaling Station after the Southern Pacific built a branch line to the district in 1888, when deposits of lignite were widely publicized as great coal seams. According to local tradition, the sonorous name was created by an official of the Southern Pacific who added an a to "coaling" (Laura Lauritzen).
« Older LA Weekly decides the Twenty Worst Hipster Bands,... | Being for the Benefit of Mr. K... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt