"She could really handle a lot of the physical play. … She would get kicked in the face, kicked in the gut and just keep going."
I say this as a life long football fan:
Good for her, for now, but if she starts to pin her hopes and dreams on this, she's going to get murdered when everyone hits puberty. Rudy was essentially a work of fiction. I hope her parents get her out of that situation before she gets horribly disappointed/wounded/sexually harassed.
The study, the first of its kind for participants that young, placed sensors in the helmets of seven youth football players ages 6 to 8 during their 2011 season. Calling it a pilot, Duma expected the impacts to be too inconsequential to record.
Results showed that about 95 percent of the impacts were between 15 and 20 g’s — what Duma likened to an “aggressive pillow fight.” The other 5 percent spiked to 50 to 100 g’s — what Duma characterized as a “car accident.”
Duma noted that collegiate and professional football players had a low risk for concussions at 100 g’s. But research has shown that the damage from concussions can be cumulative, and that the brains of younger athletes may be particularly susceptible. So Pop Warner tried to lessen the number of impacts by reducing incidents in practice, when a majority of the “car accidents” took place, according to Duma.
“There’s much more that we don’t know, than what we do know,” Guskiewicz said about football’s impact on head injuries. Pop Warner has decided to wait for more definitive proof before issuing even more restrictive rules. Guskiewicz said it could take another four or five years before research determines the short-term effects, and the length of an adult life to determine the resulting cause of depression or dementia.
Butler, Pop Warner’s executive director, estimated that if the country’s largest youth football organization were to outlaw all contact and go to a flag-football approach, about 90 to 95 percent of the players would leave and find tackle football elsewhere. He also predicted they would sustain concussions in other sports.
“We can’t wrap them in bubble wrap,” he said. “It just doesn’t work that way.”
"If you're a ten-millimetre-long ant, nine point eight metres per second squared is 980 times your body length per second squared. If you stand on your hind legs and tip forward a little bit, you'll be on the ground almost instantly... When a two-metre-tall human tilts forward, they'll take 200 times as long to hit the ground as a ten-millimetre-tall ant."
The following 20 sports/recreational activities represent the categories contributing to the highest number of estimated head injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009.
« Older RIP Bob Quinn. If you've spent any time at the Uni... | "We discussed the danger of pa... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt