Join 3,436 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

From the people who brought you "Sex House...
June 18, 2013 9:23 AM   Subscribe

More nightmarishly dystopian horror comedy with Dr. Good
posted by Cookiebastard (27 comments total) 27 users marked this as a favorite

If it's anything like Sex House I'll laugh for the first 30 seconds and be hiding behind my couch by the end.
posted by Beardman at 9:35 AM on June 18, 2013 [7 favorites]

Sex House, previously on Metafilter. youtube-dl is a good tool for downloading YouTube videos for offline viewing.
posted by Nelson at 9:37 AM on June 18, 2013 [3 favorites]

I thought Sex House kind of jumped the shark when Thirteen, Cuddy, Cameron, Chase and Wilson finally hooked up with Taub.
posted by It's Raining Florence Henderson at 9:46 AM on June 18, 2013 [3 favorites]

The description of how Dr. Lisa crushed the tomatoes is so, so great.
posted by Greg Nog at 9:48 AM on June 18, 2013

It's got shades of Idiocracy too.
posted by Cookiebastard at 10:00 AM on June 18, 2013

Work is its own reward.
posted by Theta States at 10:06 AM on June 18, 2013

This is the first time I've ever seen a Cookiebastard post! Hey there, CB!
posted by grubi at 10:09 AM on June 18, 2013

God... Sex House. That was genius. So I'd better watch this.
posted by Decani at 10:11 AM on June 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

I watched the first episode and it seems pretty clumsy. Some good gags, and I like the premise, but the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Much like a brown paper bag full of crushed tomatoes.
posted by Nelson at 10:17 AM on June 18, 2013

Sex House is one of the weirdest, funniest things I've seen in my life. I'm in. Thanks for this.
posted by koavf at 10:20 AM on June 18, 2013 [2 favorites]

Just watched it: holy crap, it's great.
posted by koavf at 10:50 AM on June 18, 2013

I Love The Onion's various video series. Most of them: Sex House, Lake Dredge Appraisal, Porkin' Across America, and this Dr. Good, straddle a freaky line between comedy and horror. Wake Up Call for a Bad Tooth Brusher and Could Plastic Surgery Be Your Ticket To Employment? seem to exist in the same universe as Sex House, with characters debasing themselves to a cheering audience, and body shame played for extremely uncomfortable laughs. And all the pills you can grab are YOURS!
posted by Cookiebastard at 10:58 AM on June 18, 2013

It's important to note for those not in the know that you might watch one episode of Sex House and think it's a fairly funny send-up of reality teevee. KEEP WATCHING.
posted by Bookhouse at 11:35 AM on June 18, 2013 [12 favorites]

It's important to note for those not in the know that you might watch one episode of Sex House and think it's a fairly funny send-up of reality teevee. KEEP WATCHING.
posted by Bookhouse at 7:35 PM on June 18

THIS.
posted by Decani at 11:42 AM on June 18, 2013

Onion Talks: Your brain-gun: Turn the safety off
posted by benzenedream at 11:49 AM on June 18, 2013 [3 favorites]

Holy Jesus. That one episode sent me into a full-on vasovagal episode right here at my desk. I think the laughing helped keep me from feinting.

There is a really delicious David Lynch-esque humor here, but not seeing the narrative arc that made Sex House such a work of genius.
posted by chicxulub at 11:57 AM on June 18, 2013

XVST can be a pretty good video downloader. Does more than just YouTube, is open source AND cross platform. Which, I admit, I can be rather anal about.
posted by Samizdata at 11:59 AM on June 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

Get your gag reflexes ready for episode 5, ladies and germs.
posted by codacorolla at 12:34 PM on June 18, 2013

For me, at least, the horror began at the very end of the first episode, the sound of which is edited for maximum shock.

I can't access YouTube at work, but I'm favoriting this sight-unseen because the Sex House people are involved.
posted by Rustic Etruscan at 12:44 PM on June 18, 2013

As a wheelchair user, I laughed like a huge horse at the entrance in episode one.
posted by angrycat at 2:00 PM on June 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

The Onion's transition from (mostly) offline articles to online video has been impressive.
posted by 2bucksplus at 2:27 PM on June 18, 2013

Don't worry, you'll be awake the entire time.
posted by louche mustachio at 2:36 PM on June 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

Absolutely hilarious. That's the best pronunciation of Au Bon Pain I've heard.
posted by painquale at 3:02 PM on June 18, 2013

These videos remind me a lot of the infomercial game show from Requiem for a Dream. ("We Got a Winner!!") The hosts are menacing, and the audience reactions are hilarious and eerie.
posted by painquale at 6:06 PM on June 18, 2013

I haven't seen enough of the "Dr. Quack" genre to tell if these are parody or more just surrealism inspired by general atmosphere of bullshit of the shows.

At any rate, the main thing I concluded from these is that The Onion really wants you to mail them a stool stample.
posted by planetesimal at 7:49 PM on June 18, 2013

I've heard of junk mail, but whoever lives at 730 N. Franklin St. in Chicago is about to get a lot of poop in the mail.
posted by The 10th Regiment of Foot at 5:00 AM on June 19, 2013 [1 favorite]

(that is the address of The Onion's main office.)
posted by planetesimal at 5:54 AM on June 19, 2013

« Older The Periodic Table of Muppets...  |  Last Action Hero was released ... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments