Join 3,363 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

When Maya met Madhur
October 18, 2013 10:30 AM   Subscribe

Maya Angelou and Madhur Jaffrey share a lunch and conversation in 2005. "Maya Angelou and Madhur Jaffrey were born worlds apart, but for both, cooking and sharing food were key to their identities. We invited them for lunch to talk about recipes, love and memory."
posted by Celsius1414 (4 comments total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Madhur Jaffrey: iceberg lettuce, which I thought was the best thing I'd ever eaten. Then I went to America where all these food writers were tearing iceberg lettuce to shreds and saying, "People who eat it are the pits." All these food writers saying exactly the same thing. From then on I thought, "I know what I like - and I like iceberg lettuce."

Maya Angelou: I agree. But that doesn't mean I don't like romaine . . .

I CANNOT HANDLE HOW SPLENDID THIS IS
posted by Greg Nog at 10:39 AM on October 18, 2013 [4 favorites]

I was skeptical based on the framing, which sort of struck me as "a black woman and an Indian woman somehow ended up talking to each other, what a crazy world!!" but it was definitely an interesting conversation to read.
posted by threeants at 1:18 PM on October 18, 2013

Huh, I never knew that Madhur Jaffrey was an actress.
posted by oceanjesse at 11:31 PM on October 18, 2013

I think my favorite thing about the romaine bit that I quoted above is that I'm reasonably sure the ellipsis was to cut out a derail / uninteresting part of the conversation. And now I'm just imagining Angelou going on like a five-minute monologue about the virtues of various lettuces. I would pay money to read that.
posted by Greg Nog at 6:55 AM on October 19, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older Dean Martin - Early Performances...  |  "When I read Spell as a kid, I... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments