The Lord is my happening; he's where it's all at.
December 15, 2013 6:00 PM Subscribe
posted by paleyellowwithorange (19 comments total)
27 users marked this as a favorite
In the late 60s, Lutheran clergyman John Rydgren hosted the weekly radio Silhouette
, broadcast across the US and in Vietnam, and squarely aimed at the flower power generation. Silhouette Segments
(1968) was a double-album which compiled short excerpts from the show. I've compiled as many of the tracks as I can find (see below). But perhaps it makes sense to begin with the Hippie Version of Creation
: "The Cat flipped a switch, blinked those big, eternal eyes, and he dug the switch action. 'Yeah... I'll take it.' "
- Music to Watch Girls By (2:52) "Check this out. They say God created people in the beginning of things. Girls included. Quite a design. God made it. You might think about that the next time you're watching a girl. Not to take the fun out of it. Just makes girl-watching mean more."
- Personality Doll of the Week
- Mercy Mercy Mercy
- Hippie Version of the 23rd Psalm (1:01) "The Lord is my happening; he's where it's all at. He tricks me sweetly - he never bugs me."
- Rinky Dink (2:50) "Man said, 'Can you help me think ten feet tall?' And God said, 'Even higher.' And Man said, 'How high?' "
- An Offering of Music (2:34) "In the middle of swirling light and driving sounds a man stood by his drums, cymbals, guitars and amplifiers, and he said - without saying words - 'Lord, I offer my music to you. The loud and soft sounds, the distortion, the emotion of my sound, I offer to you.' And God said, 'D'ya know what you're saying?' "
- Disadvantages of Life (2:27) "Escape if you can - you know, 'la la la' your way through life."
- Hippie Version of Creation (3:44) "The Cat flipped a switch, blinked those big, eternal eyes, and he dug the switch action. 'Yeah... I'll take it.' "
- Search It Out (1:37) "Look inside, girl - search it out."
- Transistor Father
- Plea of a Lonely Girl (1:15) "Summer wind is God in his gentle form of love saying, 'Hi!' "
- To Sir With Love
- The Happening (3:11) "They're young. They think."
- Groovin' on a Saturday Night
- Dark Side of the Flower (4:12) "In the garden grows a flower, bending low to the earth, its face in the dust. I can see the dark side of the flower. Can you see the dark side of the flower?"
- Dedicated to the One I Love (1:30) "Maybe my love isn't really love at all, because it can be a drag."
- Christmas Montage
- Portrait of Christ
- Sweet Home (1:00) "Home, sweet home. Right Mom?"
- The Lord is My Shepherd (0:55) "The Lord is my shepherd: in the city...in a crowd...in a jet, slicing through the sky...in the middle of war...at a funeral..."
- The Oil Painting (0:57) "He's reaching out to the sun - and from the intense look on his face, it seems he wishes he could reach way outside himself."
- The Air Terminal (0:56) "He loves everybody - not like a giant Santa Claus in the sky."
- Butterfly (0:57) "What could be more silent than a butterfly doing push-ups in a lemon meringue pie?"
- Here Lies the Church (0:58) "They say he opens your eyes to beauty, flowers, people, you and God - no drugs needed."
- Move Out in Style (0:58) "You ready for all the luxury one big, swingin' world can offer?"
- A Simple Stroll (1:02) "They say God seems kinda close to a person at a time like that - you know, when the go-go world can't crowd him out."
- The Noise (1:02) "No money-back guarantee you'll be free of noise, confusion, pain, pressures, decisions - uh-uh. He just says, 'Trust me, man.' "
- Great to Build Something (0:59) "They say that's the way God feels about what he's made."
- The Disadvantages (0:59) "If you decide to stay around and be part of the struggle for sanity, you might not wanna go it all on your own."
- A Beautiful Girl (0:53) "You can sure see what draws a guy to look at these ads. Nothing Man has made - God made girls. Of course, Man has given them the big 'sex symbol' image, but God made the initial form. Quite a design. Have to think about that the next time I'm watching a girl."