The World's most famous living scientist
January 8, 2002 5:59 PM   Subscribe

The World's most famous living scientist turns 60 today. It's a noteworthy milestone for a brilliant individual.
posted by mrbula (9 comments total)

two steps ahead.

FWIW, I believe this is more important than a dead fat wierdo.
posted by hotdoughnutsnow at 6:41 PM on January 8, 2002

Hey! I love Vic Tayback!
posted by ColdChef at 6:50 PM on January 8, 2002

Wow. Almost 40 years living with ALS. It's amazing he's lived this long; from what I've read about it, those diagnosed usually die within 2 years; a select few live for 10.
posted by Theiform at 7:06 PM on January 8, 2002

A Brief History of Time shaped my childhood...and I still look at the relationship between stars and molecules as an interconnected whole. Bravo, Mr. Hawking, you've made science wonderous yet again.
posted by Benway at 8:23 PM on January 8, 2002

He is a brilliant individual, in the realm of physics.

However, his predictions for the future are kind of...well....you know.

Wacky?

I mean, altering DNA to prepare for the eventual rebellion of robots?

First, we have to invent quantum computers. THEN, we'll see about preparing for robot revoltion.
posted by trioperative at 8:50 PM on January 8, 2002

I'll be the fall guy to post the obligatory link to MC Hawking.
posted by Modem Ovary at 9:03 PM on January 8, 2002

here's to 60 more!
posted by mcsweetie at 10:52 PM on January 8, 2002

Wacky?

Definately, there's this great undercurrent of belief, based seemingly on nothing but fear, that intelligence (as we know it) can be reproduced electronically and that it will eventually go against its creators. I smell a lot of Adam&Eve theological guilt here and some really shoddy science and unproven assumptions by the esteemed MC and other trans-humanists.
posted by skallas at 11:16 PM on January 8, 2002

Time for a slightly on-topic Onion link: "Wait a minute," said Hawking, testing out the high-tech infra-vision goggles for the first time. "I see now that the curvature of space-time follows previously unmeasured vectors that I will need to recalibrate in my equations. Also, there appears to be some sort of trouble on the moon."
posted by Yogurt at 6:52 AM on January 9, 2002

« Older As if one really need another reason   |   ¡Esquivel! Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments