National Magazine Awards for 2014
May 2, 2014 6:24 AM Subscribe
The American Society of Magazine Editors announced its 2014 winners at last night's annual awards presentation in New York (complete list here). While Fast Company won Magazine of the Year and New York Magazine won both General Excellence and Website—and Cosmopolitan brought home its first-ever award (Personal Service) for "Your Cosmo Guide to Contraception"—below the fold is a selection of the winners from individual categories that are all available on the web.
• Columns and Commentary: The New Yorker's "Shark Week," "Difficult Women," and "Private Practice," by Emily Nussbaum (previously)Also, the Magazine Section award was won by newcomer Modern Farmer, which its editor-in-chief jokingly called "the farming magazine for media professionals" (previously, previously, et al.).
• Essays and Criticism: The New Yorker's "Thanksgiving in Mongolia," by Ariel Levy (previously)
• Feature Photography: W's "Stranger Than Paradise," Tilda Swinton photographed by Tim Walker
• Feature Writing: The New Yorker's "A Loaded Gun" by Patrick Radden Keefe
• Fiction: The New Yorker's "The Embassy of Cambodia," by Zadie Smith
• Multimedia: National Geographic's "The Last Chase," by Robert Draper
• Public Interest: TIME's "Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us," by Steven Brill [subscription required]
• Reporting: The New York Times' "The Dream Boat," by Luke Mogelson, photographs by Joel van Houdt (previously)
• Video: Glamour's "Confronting Cancer: BRCA1 & BRCA2 Gene Mutations," "Recovery: Meds. And Love," and "Life Post-Surgery: Back on Stage," from its "Screw You Cancer" series.
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments