Join 3,512 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Chicagoans fight new stadium proposal.
January 17, 2002 12:25 AM   Subscribe

Chicagoans fight new stadium proposal. The Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois and other organizations have their reasons to stop the construction. Many are against the loss of lakefront public parkland, desecration of a National Historic Landmark, and the use of public funds for a for-profit venture. [Trib update] [friends of the parks petition]
posted by skallas (3 comments total)

You failed to mention that the "scoop" stadium design looks like a flying saucer crash-landed amid the old Soldier Field collonade. Seemingly a product of buddugly design....

The stupid thing is, it might be only somewhat less of a monstrosity, but they could have chosen a post-modern design that was compatible with the historic collonade, rather than the burnished-steel-and-glass look. It's not like they're trying to win any awards, here.
posted by dhartung at 6:12 AM on January 17, 2002

"Project plans call for razing the interior of the historic 1924 stadium, leaving only its trademark colonnades and creating a modern, 61,500-seat bowl." How utterly bizarre! The "after" graphic looks like a gigantic concrete UFO has landed in the stadium, overshadowing the graceful Greco-Roman temple. Thank goodness for groups like LPCI (and MeFier skallas!) for bringing it to our attention. The U.S.A. has some wonderful buildings which ought to be saved.
posted by Carol Anne at 6:19 AM on January 17, 2002

The design sure does look bad, but its also a cropped photo. I think if you stood far enough away or drove down LSD it'll look more like a typical 'stadium bowl' than a UFO. The design is the least thing I'm worried about, though. Its the whopping $400 mil in taxes and the loss of parkland.

We lost a little lakefront parkland when the city built its Field/Shedd/Adler Museum campus, but the campus center is itself a park with outdoor sculpture and benches. I think the campus was a good compromise between the needs of the Bears fans, the needs of the museums (that tunnel doesn't smell like piss as much), and the needs of the city/commuters.

Soldier Field on the other hand is just ridiculous. We're going to lose more lakefront parkland for parking. For parking! Someone has their priorities just a little mixed up. Also, on principle I'm against all sports subsidizing. Football is so profitable its not even funny.

I'm iffy about the desecration argument. Its one thing for me to smear a naughty word with my own feces on Soldier Field and its totally a different thing to put a giant UFO/Bowl thingy in it. Maybe its because I never recognized Soldier Field as a real monument. Until recently I just assumed it was a stadium.

I'm really curious to see how this will play out. With Bears enthusiasm going through the roof this season and the ever present apathy I fully expect this thing to be erected as soon as humanly possible. I'm hoping the attention and letters will turn some heads, but it looks like construction has already begun and right now some temp is busy entering cheesy do-dads like bricks and grass clippings into a database for the obligatory keepsake sales.

Oh well, there's always angry picketing and paint throwing.
posted by skallas at 6:49 AM on January 17, 2002

« Older "We're fighting our own terrorist war,"...  |  Bin Ladin, the fashion label.... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments