Pantsuit 2.1.0
October 21, 2016 9:51 AM   Subscribe

Pantsuit 2.1.0 : Mina Markham, Senior Software Engineer with the Hillary Clinton campaign, writes about her experience building the design library that drives the campaign.
posted by odinsdream (13 comments total) 30 users marked this as a favorite

The only way this could be cooler -> her name would be how I accidentally read it the first time: Mina Markdown.
posted by gwint at 10:05 AM on October 21, 2016 [12 favorites]

That's neat as hell - I know a thing like this would of course have to exist, but it's cool to be able to see under the hood a little bit.

Deep in my doggy soul, I know there's a function, file or some such named 'Nasty,' and confirmation of that fact would be worth another fifty dollar donation.
posted by Mooski at 10:08 AM on October 21, 2016 [1 favorite]

Something I really like about pantsuit, other than its hilarious name, is that now that i know they were explicitly driving for accessibility to colorblind and low vision readers it's incredibly obvious that it works for those populations. However, it's also a nice UI design without even considering that aspect.

That's pretty impressive.
posted by mcstayinskool at 10:22 AM on October 21, 2016 [11 favorites]

The Doctor gif. I am in love with this person.
posted by Horkus at 10:28 AM on October 21, 2016 [1 favorite]

This is super neat even though I don't understand it much. People who are obviously very good at their jobs is such a comfort in this often terrifying world.

(Which might as well be Hillary's campaign slogan)
posted by MCMikeNamara at 10:41 AM on October 21, 2016 [17 favorites]

Awesome how she changes the "Trumps" to "Alterations". Simply magic.
posted by kadmilos at 10:50 AM on October 21, 2016

Her twitter bio includes the phrase "Pantsuit Seamstress @HillaryClinton."
posted by larrybob at 10:54 AM on October 21, 2016 [3 favorites]

I know Mina and she is fantastic. That is all.
posted by dame at 11:17 AM on October 21, 2016 [9 favorites]

People who are obviously very good at their jobs is such a comfort in this often terrifying world.

Also these people went to great lengths to ensure that the terrifying world contained some comfort. I heart web designers who default to ensuring things are readable for everyone without requiring-ctrl up intervention. If some tween with super acute vision wants tiny fonts let them shrink the browser font size.
posted by srboisvert at 11:17 AM on October 21, 2016 [6 favorites]

Puns and politics and women in computer science! This fpp is relevant to my interests.

Have there been any articles on overall number/percentage of women in key and/or technical positions in the Clinton campaign organization? Eg., it seems that the campaign's design director is also a woman. The Clinton campaign has been quite impressive at overall design and branding (in addition to the web design, get out the vote organization, etc.); maybe even more so than the first Obama campaign, which was quite noteworthy for the "Hope" message and graphics. I suppose those sorts of overviews don't tend to come out after the election is over, when campaign staff have time to do interviews, and aren't worried about giving away hints about their campaign strategy to competing campaigns.
posted by eviemath at 11:38 AM on October 21, 2016

I know Mina and she is fantastic. That is all.

politifact_true.jpg

Deep in my doggy soul, I know there's a function, file or some such named 'Nasty,' and confirmation of that fact would be worth another fifty dollar donation.

Thanks Mooski
posted by jdherg at 1:35 PM on October 21, 2016 [9 favorites]

Another designer associated with a candidate, the guy who made Trump's "The Apprentice" logo, has written a mea-culpa and made a 'much better' design for The Donald. He has done better but less-known logos for Bob Newhart, Vicki Lawrence and the Madagascar Penguins.
posted by oneswellfoop at 2:31 PM on October 21, 2016

> Have there been any articles on overall number/percentage of women in key and/or technical positions in the Clinton campaign organization?

Not a direct answer to your question, but somewhat related: Hillary Clinton’s Campaign Has More Black Women Than Any Presidential Campaign in History
posted by moody cow at 8:23 PM on October 22, 2016 [2 favorites]

« Older Awesome. Wow.   |   Wave of Cyber Attacks Hit Major US Websites Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments