July 26, 2002
12:07 AM   Subscribe

It can be stately and elegant, beautiful and swirling or square and modern. It makes a surprising variety of intricate pictures. Why is the written word honored so highly in Islamic art? Find out by diving into the gorgeous world of Arab Calligraphy. Here's a friendly portal to help. Take time to linger over a language that took a different path. (Bonus for font freaks inside)
posted by mediareport (10 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

(Can we ban Pantload and ParisPariah from this thread preemptively?)
posted by donkeyschlong at 12:24 AM on July 26, 2002

Bonus for Font freaks:
Ayesha's amazing animated Arabic alphabet (Flash req'd).
Four pages of old school Islamic calligraphy
More contemporary approach from the director of London's Research Centre for Arab Art and Design, Ahmed Moustafa
posted by mediareport at 12:26 AM on July 26, 2002 [1 favorite]

an awesome array of links to behold, mediareport. good work. :)
posted by elphTeq at 1:52 AM on July 26, 2002

This is very cool. Thanks.
posted by Bixby23 at 2:43 AM on July 26, 2002

mediareport, you have singlehandely thrown me back to a time when I was 7 years old and I was transfixed by a turkish student friend of my parent's, writing my name for me in arabic script. Throughout the time he stayed with us, he taught me much of the alphabet too. I just worked my way through Ayesha's animated alphabet and was surprised at just how many of the glyphs and sounds I remembered. Cheers mediareport, I'll be smiling alot today! :-)
posted by Arqa at 3:27 AM on July 26, 2002

Wow. Great links. Thanks.
posted by ColdChef at 6:23 AM on July 26, 2002

i ? mediareport
posted by Marquis at 6:43 AM on July 26, 2002

Wow, very cool. Very beautiful, too. Thank you!
posted by beth at 7:56 AM on July 26, 2002

Too groovy. I've been working on learning formal Arabic, and the writing has always been the hardest part...this is stunning! Great links, you rock. :)
posted by dejah420 at 8:52 AM on July 26, 2002

Thank the idiocy of that lawsuit against UNC, which inspired me to go digging. I've liked looking at Arabic (not Arab, as I wrote above) calligraphy for years but never knew much about it.

I love this one. And the origin and development links are really fascinating.
posted by mediareport at 11:13 AM on July 26, 2002

« Older Skin flicks?   |   Chicago Rat Patrol. Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments