Celebrity Caricature in America.
February 10, 2003 8:36 AM   Subscribe

Celebrity Caricature in America. The website of a 1998 exhibition at the (US) National Portrait Gallery. Via the National Portrait Gallery's online exhibitions, where there are even more fine things.
posted by plep (6 comments total)

Hedcuts in the Wall Street Journal.
Marilyn Monroe in Korea.
Le Tumulte Noir.
Louis Armstrong.
Franklin & His Friends.
Cartier-Bresson.
America in 1846.
And more.
posted by plep at 8:40 AM on February 10, 2003

[this is good]
posted by Slithy_Tove at 9:33 AM on February 10, 2003

Excellent post, plep - as evinced by the low number of comments!

No, really.
posted by soyjoy at 10:45 AM on February 10, 2003

Thanks plep for this post. On a somewhat related note, I came across a site yesterday on Hogarth that included the following quote: Hogarth "called his representations of people characters rather than caricatures, seeking to reveal the true nature of his subjects rather than simply mocking them." I had always thought that caricature was only a few hundred years old as an art form so I searched for the history of caricature and found these excellent articles (warning: pop-ups) from 1875 issues of Harper's Magazine. Also, if you like caricature, these might be enjoyable: create your own caricature and the Caricature Carvers of America with their carving competition.
posted by snez at 11:14 AM on February 10, 2003

Thanks snez. Those are great sites.
posted by plep at 1:38 PM on February 10, 2003

plep, I was saving this post for tonight and now have stayed up far too late. Thanks for all the quality posts you bring us - I think you are singlehandedly responsible for more of my work procrastination than any other person. Of course, when I wind up a bag lady, it's on your head ;-)
posted by madamjujujive at 11:18 PM on February 10, 2003

« Older Oklahoma's state senator has made a prolific move ...  |  Dude, You're Under Arrest... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments