Sensory Reality - Peacetime
1. Good and Evil have many shades of grey. Many groups with different ideas and opinions are legitimate.
2. Now is pretty much like other times.
3. The great forces of nature, such as God or human evolution, are not often evoked in our disputes.
4. When the present period is over, things will go on much as they have in the past.
5. There are many problems to be solved and their relative importance varies from day to day. Life is complex.
6. All people act from pretty much the same motives.
7. Problems start on different levels - economic, political, or personal - and must be dealt with on these levels.
8. We are concerned with what causes the problems we are trying to solve.
9. We can talk to those we disagree with.
10. All people are fundamentally the same.
Mythic Reality - Wartime
1. Good and Evil are reduced to Us and Them. There are no innocent bystanders; there are only those for or those against us. Crucial issues are divided into black and white, and opinions about them are either right or wrong.
2. Now is different from all other times. Everything hangs in the balance; whoever wins now wins forever. It is the time of the final battle between good and evil.
3. 'God is on Our Side,' 'History will absolve us,' and other such slogans indicate our belief that great cosmic forces are with us.
4. Everything will be vastly different after the war. Things will be better if we win and terribly worse if we lose. Winning or losing will change the meaning of the past and the shape of the future.
5. There is only one major problem to be solved. All others are secondary. Life has one major focus.
6. They act from a wish for power. We act from self-defence, benevolence, and reasons of common decency and morality.
7. The real problem started with an act of will by the enemy and can only be solved by breaking his will or by making him helpless to act on it.
8. We are not concerned with causes, only with outcomes.
9.Since the enemy is evil, he naturally lies. Communication is not possible. Only force can settle the issue. We tell the truth (news, education). They lie (propaganda).
10. The same actions are 'good' when we do them and 'evil' when the enemy does them. There is doubt that 'we' and 'they' really belong to the same species.
« Older You'd better come home, Speedy Gonzalez!... | Happy Birthday Albert Einstein... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt