Skip

Hippie thoughts
April 9, 2003 9:36 PM   Subscribe

Hippie Crap Saves The World! "Here is what conservatives hate most: the idea that you really can, and do, make a difference. That you, hopefully working to align yourself with something deeper and more informed and perhaps not exactly Christian, or corporate, not exactly lockstep mainstream flag-waving God-fearing asexual consumer drone, you can affect the world, directly, right now, in ways you might not even realize, in ways that make them tremble and wince, in how much you laugh and love and eat and sleep and screw and breathe and in how deeply you penetrate into the soul's raison d'etre."
posted by thedailygrowl (11 comments total)

This post was deleted for the following reason: seems like a lame op-ed. too silly.

Actually, most of the "hippies" I've seen are just as conformist as everyone else. The only difference is that they follow the ideals of their own little cliques instead of the really big cliques everyone else belongs to.
posted by unreason at 9:43 PM on April 9, 2003

Well-written (better than your usual Neal Pollack, or anything I could've written right now), thought-provoking, semi-unique-angled Op-Ed piece, but still an Op-Ed piece. I'd warn you to prepare for the wrath of mathowie, but the Supreme Being of MeFi has been rather slow on the delete finger lately, so, if you can still see this comment at 9:00AM PST of April 10th, nevermind, bygones, my bad and d'oh.
posted by wendell at 9:53 PM on April 9, 2003

hehe. a hippie-crap-argument for hippie crap... go figure.
posted by Mark Doner at 9:53 PM on April 9, 2003

Mark Morford is good.
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 9:55 PM on April 9, 2003

>can't, in a very real and immediate way, erode your divine links

Umm, no, you'll have to prove these divine links first.

> We possess actual psychic and electromagnetic force. Duh. It's a fact.

The fact that the human body/nervous system is electric does not lead to the "fact" that we're psychic or that we exchange something as simple as "negative" and "positive" energies in a New Agey like way.

>10 million Prozac prescriptions begets a billion dumbed-down mind-sets

Yeah, we should make that stuff illegal. I mean the world needs more depressed people and suicides. pfft.

> Dalai Lama talk about all the time -- these things literally up your anima's vibration, add positive energy back in, turn the collective volume back up.

Funny, when the Dalai Lama gets sick he goes to the Mayo Clinic, not to Whole Foods.

>More advanced and enlightened souls -- and cultures -- vibrate at a higher level, a more bright and rigorous pitch.

No mainstream science supports this, contrary to the author's assurances.

>You want to really annoy the conservative warmongering powers that be? Work your ass off to pump up the vibration.

Yeah, I want my life to be an act of annoyance. Really now, this article is horrible. It all seems to pan down to "look we can be crazier than them!" This is a serious problem of some members of the left, they can't give up their "spiritual" nonsense and accept that all the things that make up progressive politics, thinking globally, and enjoying life (hedonism) have nothing to do with spirits, ether, and good vibes but everything to do with facts, caring about the future, learning from the past, rationalism, and letting go of the religious baggage about sex/ethics.

If Xtianity imploded tomarrow then the New Agers would quickly fill the void, slowly turning into another out of touch organization telling people how to live, pushing guilt-trips, ridiculous cosmologies, and pissing on science. Thanks but no thanks.

I really hate this article, it represents this Oprah-like "spiritual common sense" that's just another way of being uber-religious without all the fundie baggage.
posted by skallas at 9:59 PM on April 9, 2003

> Mark Morford is good.

So good I couldn't tell that it was satire.
posted by skallas at 10:01 PM on April 9, 2003

For the record this parody has *nothing* on the stuff I've seen forwarded at the office in complete sincerity.
posted by skallas at 10:04 PM on April 9, 2003

I guess he was right. It really did piss you guys off!
posted by bas67 at 10:07 PM on April 9, 2003

So, these vibrations... they vibrate?
posted by jammer at 10:07 PM on April 9, 2003

Haha.. nice..
posted by ZupanGOD at 10:10 PM on April 9, 2003

I couldn't find one single coherent thought or sentence in that pile of words. What, exactly, was the point?
posted by davidmsc at 10:11 PM on April 9, 2003

« Older The sun never sets on the Republican empire   |   And just when we'd forgotten about Trent ... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments