Join 3,501 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

White Guys CAN jump
January 26, 2005 9:38 AM   Subscribe

Let us re-introduce you to Henry Bekkering. "...Most have seen the original...but if you don't know, now you know." (video with sound. sound not necessary to appreciate 40 inch vertical leaps and a two-footed leap from the foul line) [first post]
posted by Al_Truist (10 comments total)

mad hops!
posted by shoepal at 11:43 AM on January 26, 2005

Wow! Reminds me of back in the day Carter
posted by ReggieNoble2 at 12:23 PM on January 26, 2005

Thanks for the link!
posted by internal at 1:43 PM on January 26, 2005

holy crap, was that real?
posted by blendor at 2:58 PM on January 26, 2005

I don't understand; that guy looks white.
posted by Pretty_Generic at 3:07 PM on January 26, 2005

Wow I'm surprised nobody complained that this should be on sportsfilter, or that your first post sucks because it's just some sports video, etc etc...

I liked it... nice vid.. I have not heard of this guy before as I've kinda lost interest in basketball save for my Illini...

Who's he play for? yeah, lame question I know...

Also, that carter video - holy crap.. he jacks that guy in the face with an elbow.. great jumping ability, but not a great play in my book.
posted by twiggy at 4:33 PM on January 26, 2005

That was quite a display of athletic ability, but I have said it before, (not on MetaFilter, though, or SportsFilter either for that matter)--The game of basketball has not "developed" along with the skills of the humans who play it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
posted by jaronson at 4:43 PM on January 26, 2005

So who is that guy? Is he really (dare I say it) Canadian?
posted by alexwoods at 7:27 PM on January 26, 2005

That's nothin'. Try Michael Wilson from the Harlem Globetrotters. Dunks a 12 foot rim :)

Used to be a video of it at the below url if anyone can find it archived somewhere:

http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/kids/video/wilsont1.rm

Maybe we can just ask him :)

HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS CAREER:

* Aug. 30, 1997: Established a yet another precedent in basketball and performance with an amazing Guinness Book of Records Slam Dunk at 11 feet, 10 inches, breaking the record he set Sept. 16, 1996
* Set slam dunk record in Sept. 16, 1996 before thousands at the Disney MGM Studios, Walt Disney World, near Orlando, FL
* Participated in historic reprisal of the College World Series on April 19, 1997 as he and Globetrotter teammates teamed with Magic Johnson against the College All-Americans at the America West Arena in Phoenix
* Feb. 12, 1997, successfully attempted an unofficial slam dunk record at 12 feet at Madison Square Garden in New York City

QUOTE ABOUT BEING A HARLEM GLOBETROTTER:

"I'm proud to carry on a tradition that I've admired and respected for many years, and I'm pleased to have begun my Globetrotter career by contributing yet another first to the team's long list of ground breaking advances in sport."

HIGH SCHOOL CAREER:

* Attended Memphis High School, Tennessee
* Earned All-American honors
* Averaged 27 points, 14 rebounds, 9.6 blocks per game
* Blocked an astounding 15 shots in one game

PERSONAL/MISC.:

* Currently resides in Memphis, TN
* Enjoys Mexican food and chicken
* Finds New York City interesting because there is always something to do
* Favorite Movie: "A Time to Kill"

ADVICE TO YOUNG ATHLETES:

"The person with the hard work ethic is the person who gets things done."

EMAIL:

m.wilson@harlemglobetrotters.com
posted by reflection at 8:52 PM on January 26, 2005

didnt mean to paste all that.
posted by reflection at 8:53 PM on January 26, 2005

« Older "If a scholar or expert gets paid to do some work ...  |  In vogue during the Middle Age... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments