Join 3,561 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


Empowering Children Through the Art of Photography
February 27, 2005 12:14 PM   Subscribe

Kids with Cameras (warning, embedded QT video in link)
With an Oscar Nominated documentary, Born into Brothels, under her belt, Zana Briski's spinoff project, Kids with Cameras, teaches children growing up in difficult circumstances the art and skills of photography to empower them to appreciate the beauty and dignity of their own expression.
With projects in Calcutta, Haiti, Jerusalem and Cairo, they send great photographers to lead workshops, the children are given inexpensive 35mm cameras to capture whatever they choose and then the children's pictures are shown (and sold) around the world through exhibits, books and film.
posted by fenriq (7 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

 
Some of these photos are pretty good.
posted by mai at 12:29 PM on February 27, 2005


A similar project based out of the favelas of Rio: Olhares do morro. The project was started by a French photographer working in Santa Marta. They do a lot of pinhole photography seminars. The kids (well, some up to 20ish years) keep rights on them, and get 60% of the revenue from sales. The other 40% keeps the organization supplied for new seminars. Some of them have gone out to see their work exhibited as far away as Paris...
posted by whatzit at 12:34 PM on February 27, 2005


This is a wonderful project! Great link.
posted by TetrisKid at 12:53 PM on February 27, 2005


I feel like something similar (same person, different project?) was discussed here before and resulted in a lot of vitriol as I recall. Personally, I love this sort of thing. Thanks, fenriq!
posted by shoepal at 2:59 PM on February 27, 2005


You mean 'Oscar winning documentary', as of about 40 minutes ago...
posted by tapeguy at 7:58 PM on February 27, 2005


I saw the documentary earlier this month and Briski took questions after the screening. She had just returned from India and gave further updates on the kids featured in the film and mentioned that land had been purchased for a school. I was impressed by her efforts to get the various children enrolled in school, against all odds. The Cairo project looks like it will also focus on the kids of a marginalized group of workers (garbage collectors).
posted by PY at 1:22 AM on February 28, 2005


The more I learned about Zana Briski, the more I am impressed and fascinated by her. I wish I'd seen her win the Oscar last night, her work is what I think these gaudy award shows should be focused on.
posted by fenriq at 10:28 AM on February 28, 2005


« Older 40000...  |  The Infinite Teen Slang Dictio... Newer »


This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments