The Grinch who stole eBay?
December 8, 2000 12:51 PM   Subscribe

The Grinch who stole eBay? Here's a weird one; help cheerfully accepted. The link is to a search on eBay for Novatel Minstrel's; I decided I wanted to buy one. Everywhere I run the search from, I get substantially different results. Like, 2 answers vs 12. I'd be interested to know if other people who hit the link see similar behavior... This smells weird... kinda like the Amazon differential pricing think, but I can't see a reason why...
posted by baylink (8 comments total)

I'm wondering if this could be address, browser or OS based; I didn't see that I had *any* cookies in my file from eBay...
posted by baylink at 12:52 PM on December 8, 2000

Maybe it's one of those phase-of-the-moon things.
posted by rodii at 12:56 PM on December 8, 2000

IE5.5, Netscape4.7 & 6, Opera 5: The same 2 results
posted by Mick at 12:57 PM on December 8, 2000

i get the same results, but if i go to the front page and type minstrel in the search box, i get 122 results. odd...
posted by phunkone at 1:06 PM on December 8, 2000

The front page search box is not category restricted.

I generated that URL by trimming the results of entering 'minstrel' into a title and description search of category "Photo & Electronics"; I should have mentioned that too...
posted by baylink at 1:38 PM on December 8, 2000

It's not just you, I've had different results in the last two days searching for fingerprint scanning devices. Can't explain it though., might be a hiccup in the search engine.
posted by monkeyboy at 5:34 PM on December 8, 2000

One way to test if it's OS dependant/your location dependant is to run it through spaceproxy. Either go to their site and go to eBay from there, or you can simply tack on directly before the real address. Then it'll go through their proxy server first.
posted by grank at 8:15 PM on December 8, 2000

It's not a hiccup. eBay's search engine has always been a little flaky on me.
posted by aaron at 1:23 PM on December 10, 2000

« Older Warner Brothers is going after Harry Potter fan...   |   Histories for eveything! Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments