Join 3,559 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Yahoo Finance: Macromedia changes its name to New Jersey Media Group
January 13, 2001 8:16 PM   Subscribe

Yahoo Finance: Macromedia changes its name to New Jersey Media Group or did it?
posted by lagado (13 comments total)

This isn't Macromedia (Flash, Shockwave, macromedia.com etc.) Here's the Hoover Online company report for North Jersey Media Group.
posted by tomalak at 8:33 PM on January 13, 2001

Yeah, I was about to start ranting about company identity and how companies don't really gain anything from changing their names and how Macromedia is a worldwide brand etc. Then I read the article. I'm really glad I did.
posted by davidgentle at 8:44 PM on January 13, 2001

``Brand identity in this market is important,'' company president Jon Markey said. ``You have to take the confusion out of it, so you know you're talking about the same thing.''

;-j

posted by lagado at 9:27 PM on January 13, 2001

I think companies with the same names but headquartered in different states are allowed to coexist, as long as they're in different businesses. Or something like that.
posted by aaron at 9:45 PM on January 13, 2001

Gosh, I though that being in New Jersey was punishment enough, but admitting it? They've gone too far!
posted by Bag Man at 10:12 PM on January 13, 2001

I don't know, I like New Jersey, especially it's towns. I think it has some of the greatest names ever for a state. New-aik, Secaucus, Paa-h-saaaick, B'o'ei-gan, Rah-way and such. I'm trying to think of more but all I seem to be getting is a brain cramp. Ohh, and Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes. Your favorite city/town name?
posted by tiaka at 11:09 PM on January 13, 2001

Hohokus. Hackensack. Perth Amboy. Bayonne. Nutley. Hoboken. Weehawken.
posted by grimmelm at 11:36 PM on January 13, 2001

Kearney! The Oranges!
posted by aaron at 11:57 PM on January 13, 2001

Well, we have all the English villages to draw upon: Chipping Bagpoise and Stanton St. John in Oxon, Hutton-le-Hole and Chester-le-Street in the northeast. An invention that the pilgrims (Hartford, Boston, Portland, Plymouth) seemed to lack.
posted by holgate at 2:15 AM on January 14, 2001

Shouldn't that be spelt "Noo Joyzee"?

Some Australian place names:

Chinkapook, Manangatang, Chinaman's Creek, Kangaroo Ground, Koo-Wee-Rup, Emu Bottom, Lake Caddiwarrabirracanna...

New Zealand:

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipuka- kapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Thailand:

Krung thep mahanakhon bovorn ratanakosin mahintharayutthaya mahadilok pop noparatratchathani burirom udomratchanivetma hasathan amornpiman avatarnsa thit sakkathattiyavisnukarmprasit

posted by lagado at 3:14 AM on January 14, 2001

Right, I've read that New Zealand has the longest name for one village, it's something that reads like a story "Here live the people that so and so..."

Ooo.. Pis-kha-tah-way, and yes, it is Noo Joyzee. Sorry. heh.
posted by tiaka at 8:31 AM on January 14, 2001

I feel the need to point out the existence of Big Ugly, West Virginia, and Bee Lick, Kentucky.
posted by aaron at 1:53 PM on January 14, 2001

The best part about New Jersey is the inventiveness. The high point of the state is called High Point.
posted by Dreama at 9:06 AM on January 15, 2001

« Older North Dakota Blind man gets weapons permit :...  |  One of Leonard Nimoy's Lesser ... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments