On New Year's Day 1965, Soupy, miffed at having to work on the holiday, ended his live broadcast by encouraging his young viewers to tiptoe into their still-sleeping parents' bedrooms and remove those "funny green pieces of paper" from their pants and pocketbooks. "Put them in an envelope and mail them to me," Soupy allegedly instructed the children. "And you know what I'm going to send you? A post card from Puerto Rico!"
• "What starts with f and ends with uck? A fire truck!"
• Singing a ditty entitled "If you see Kay ..."
• Playing a game with White Fang in which the dog grunts the alphabet but consistently misidentifies the letter f as the letter k until Soupy blurts out in mock exasperation: "Everytime I see f, you see k!"
• Telling his audience: "I climbed up a tree and kissed my girl between the limbs."
• Announcing: "I took my wife to a baseball game — I kissed her on the strikes, and she kissed me on the balls."
« Older "It can seem daunting when you are initially hande... | It's Saddam Saturday! Besides ... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt