V-2 No. 13: Motion pictures showing Earth's curvature: October 24, 1946 [...]
V-2 No. 40: Photographs of 800,000 square miles of Earth's surface; July 26, 1948
In addition to material, captured German scientists and missile experts were sent to the U.S. to assist in America's missile program. After careful screening, approximately 100 individuals were chosen to come to this country. A paperclip was placed on their folders and they became part of the program known as "Operation Paperclip."
The Paperclip crew, which was headed by the famous Dr. Wernher Von Braun, arrived in the U.S. on Nov. 17, 1945 and in January 1946 was moved to Fort Bliss, Texas. The group was divided and approximately 20 were assigned to White Sands Proving Ground (WSPG). At the end of a six-month period the Germans were returned to Fort Bliss for renewal of contracts and reassignment. A few of the original group were returned to WSPG to continue work there.
German personnel at WSPG reached its peak of 39 in March 1946. Thereafter, the German specialists and engineers were replaced by American contractor personnel in the spring of 1947.
« Older Cpl. Matt Sanchez is the BFF of Ann Coulter and ga... | Another mysterios creature fro... Newer »
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments
Buy a Shirt