Join 3,375 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


The Three Penny Opera
July 15, 2007 6:06 AM   Subscribe

Kurt Weill's Opera by and for Beggars. Charlie Haden and Kurt Weill, Teresa Stratas accordions, William S Burroughs, Betty Carter, PJ Harvey, Lou Reed, Stan Ridgeway, The Persuasions, Ghettoriginal Dance Company,Teresa Stratas, David Johansen
posted by hortense (19 comments total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

 
Every thing you ever wanted to know about the guy who wrote that Jim Morrison song.
posted by hortense at 6:11 AM on July 15, 2007


Up until I picked up Hal Wilner's "Lost in the Stars" I only knew Weil as the Mack the Knife guy. But I was big Wall of Voodoo fan and picked it up just to hear the Stan Ridgeway cut, which is a pretty kick ass version of the Cannon Song. The album made me seek out lots of other Kurt Weil, so I'll always be grateful for it. I just realized that album came out more than 20 years ago! And I never even knew there was a video clip of "Cannon Song", so thanks!
posted by Slack-a-gogo at 6:32 AM on July 15, 2007


Burroughs, sir. A burrow, I suppose, is where a mugwump might live.
posted by grabbingsand at 6:33 AM on July 15, 2007


Thanks hortense! I love the Kurt Weill version of Speak Low.
posted by vacapinta at 6:37 AM on July 15, 2007


See also.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 6:43 AM on July 15, 2007


The above link: more details on the record Slack-a-gogo mentioned.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 6:45 AM on July 15, 2007


One of the YouTubers nailed it when he said David Johansen has that Tom Waits vibe goin'.
posted by RavinDave at 7:14 AM on July 15, 2007


That PJ Harvey "Soldier's Wife" is a great performance: beautiful arrangement (sorta Tom Wait-sy), and she pulls it off really well. I like music videos that are just one continuous shot. Feels real.

The Persuasions sound fabulous as always, too. What a beautiful song that is, "Oh Heavenly Salvation". Ol' Kurt was a helluva songster.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 7:28 AM on July 15, 2007


I once saw the Persuasions supporting Lou Reed. They blew him off the stage.

Also, obligatory
posted by PeterMcDermott at 8:44 AM on July 15, 2007


Don't forget about McDonald's.

Also, more from Brecht, who's gone oddly unmentioned.
posted by roll truck roll at 9:03 AM on July 15, 2007


The Young Gods also cover Kurt Weill, and really well, too.
Youtube "September Song", TYG official site - The Young Gods Play Kurt Weill.
posted by Zack_Replica at 9:31 AM on July 15, 2007


[repaired spelling]
posted by jessamyn at 10:10 AM on July 15, 2007


vacapinta, did you here this one?
posted by hortense at 10:26 AM on July 15, 2007


Re: hortense's link (above) ... I realize that about 80% of already know who Lenya is, but the other 20% might get a kick out of knowing.
posted by RavinDave at 10:37 AM on July 15, 2007


Oh, wow. The September Songs album has been one that I have kept returning to year after year. I suppose that I might have known that there was a video for all of the songs, but I must have forgotten. Thank you for posting this, hortense!
posted by Benjamin Nushmutt at 2:58 PM on July 15, 2007


Marianne Faithfull sings Weill's The Seven Deadly Sins with the Vienna Philharmonic - English language version, with W H Auden pitching in with the translation.
posted by UbuRoivas at 5:01 PM on July 15, 2007


Ute Lemper
posted by Mental Wimp at 5:46 PM on July 16, 2007


Marianne Faithfull took my dreams away.
posted by homunculus at 8:05 PM on July 16, 2007


oooh - that's nice, homunculus.
posted by UbuRoivas at 5:00 AM on July 17, 2007


« Older Steve Ward's Singing Tesla Coil video....  |  "I'd been a fugitive for too l... Newer »


This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments