Join 3,497 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Bureau of Communication
December 21, 2007 9:24 AM   Subscribe

Send messages to friends with fun, bureaucratic fill-in forms! Bureau of Communication has funny faux-bureaucratic forms that you can send to your friends. Whether you need to communicate a problem, send an invitation to an event, or simply apologize for a transgression, our easy-to-use forms will ensure that your message is clearly conveyed.
posted by lsemel (30 comments total) 44 users marked this as a favorite

If there's one thing that's more fun than bureacracy, it's toothless satire.
posted by box at 9:30 AM on December 21, 2007

Old idea, but well done. Well enough that I even let them harvest my address. adjective holiday, Bureau!
posted by DU at 9:30 AM on December 21, 2007

"It was my evil twin" is now my excuse for everything.
posted by maudlin at 9:32 AM on December 21, 2007 [2 favorites]

me likey.
posted by papakwanz at 9:33 AM on December 21, 2007

I like these. We made up a 'form to request a new form' once at work, years ago, because of all the bureacracy that we had to put up with.
posted by dowcrag at 9:49 AM on December 21, 2007

[Compliment] and [Adjective]. [Statement of gratitude]!
posted by bassjump at 10:06 AM on December 21, 2007

If these were post cards I would buy them.
posted by 517 at 10:07 AM on December 21, 2007 [1 favorite]

Metatalk: I am sending you this message to alert you that I find your behavior of [OFFENSIVE ACTION] to be particularly [SENSATION].
posted by Horace Rumpole at 10:10 AM on December 21, 2007

I like the implementation. A lot.
posted by Fezboy! at 10:19 AM on December 21, 2007

When do we get the presidential candidate version?
posted by Chuckles McLaughy du Haha, the depressed clown at 10:23 AM on December 21, 2007

Seeing as how this is in part what I am doing all day long, I just don't get as much joy out of this website.
posted by Pollomacho at 10:26 AM on December 21, 2007

I wish to take a moment to thank you for [action leading to your gratitiude]. You should know that I am [adjective] grateful....

Awesome! Bureaucratic Mad-Libs!

(these are actually kind of cool)
posted by quin at 10:29 AM on December 21, 2007

Yet another slightly amusing and cool way to get spam.
posted by tkchrist at 10:37 AM on December 21, 2007

I made myself laugh till I cried remembering a story from a low-brass professor about anal prolapse while filling out the apology form.
posted by MNDZ at 10:40 AM on December 21, 2007

As a bureaucrat, I find that these forms exude an inappropriate amount of goodwill.

Please remit any excess goodwill to Accounts Receivable between 3 and 4:30 PM. In the event that Accounts Receivable is closed during those hours, please submit a "Request for Audience" form to Carol in Scheduling. Should Carol be out on maternity leave, please allow up to nine months to process form. Should an emergency situation arise, you can also contact David in Scheduling. Should David be out on maternity leave, please contact the Maternity Leave Auditing Department in order to assess David's ability to birth children.
posted by Greg Nog at 10:45 AM on December 21, 2007 [4 favorites]

I just used the "Observance of Holiday" form to bring World Orgasm Day to a friends attention.
posted by onhazier at 10:45 AM on December 21, 2007

Greg, do you work in my office? Perhaps you are in the comfortable, government standard gray cubicle next to mine?
posted by Pollomacho at 10:47 AM on December 21, 2007

Um...are we supposed to exchange gifts on "World Orgasm Day"? Because I'm not sure I want to be randomly chosen to be someone's "Secret Santa".

Otherwise, I chortled at the Apology form...
posted by darkstar at 10:50 AM on December 21, 2007

Anyone know how to activate the Print button? I filled out the Formal Apology form but the Print button stayed greyed out.
posted by junesix at 11:20 AM on December 21, 2007

These forms lack the errors required to make them accurate enough for use in England.
posted by srboisvert at 11:41 AM on December 21, 2007

Hallmark doesn't seem to carry in World Orgasm Day cards. I worry about why they offer a turkey centerpiece instead.
posted by onhazier at 11:45 AM on December 21, 2007

That is freaking awesome. I'm seriously going to use the invitation form for my wedding invitations next year.
posted by supercrayon at 12:40 PM on December 21, 2007

AWESOME. I just sent Christmakwaanzukkah cards to my entire email holiday list.
posted by iamkimiam at 12:50 PM on December 21, 2007

I'm half-tempted to gin up an "Official Notice of Crush" form to inflict on an attractive co-worker next Valentine's Day -- but it would have to be droll and harmless enough to be appreciated as humorous without getting me into workplace-harassment hot water.
posted by pax digita at 12:53 PM on December 21, 2007

I cleaned up a filthy mess for my boyfriend so he could get to work on time and I barely got a "thanks." When he asked why I was pissed, I should have requested an official Statement of Gratitude.
posted by grapefruitmoon at 1:06 PM on December 21, 2007

GUARDS! Bring me the forms I need to have these men taken away.
posted by OldReliable at 1:51 PM on December 21, 2007 [1 favorite]

Those who criticize satire as "toothless" have obviously never been viciously gummed for 8 hours in a work environment. But when they release the "UNSOLICITED FEEDBACK To facilitate the sharing of opinion" form, I predict a sudden increase in spammail and drop in the number of MetaTalk threads.
posted by wendell at 2:13 PM on December 21, 2007

I think these forms are great. I really do. But...crap. Isemel, aren't you one of the three guys behind this stuff? (Monkey Labs, Magnetism Studios, Bureau of Communication, et al?) I thought I remembered you had a start up with your two friends and this is a division of it, isn't it?
posted by misha at 3:21 PM on December 21, 2007

In response to misha, no, it's not my site (though I wish I'd thought of it!) You're right about the names of their companies, though. The creators are Josh, David and Paul from Magnetism Studios..
posted by lsemel at 12:10 AM on December 22, 2007

Perhaps this is ill-advised, but... MetaTalk.
posted by thinman at 12:28 PM on December 22, 2007

« Older He keeps his white gloved hands where parents can ...  |  Fairytale of New York... cens... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments