Join 3,377 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Stun-Gun Kid Zaps Schoolmates
April 5, 2001 8:34 AM   Subscribe

Stun-Gun Kid Zaps Schoolmates - A Queens, NY junior-high student swiped a stun gun from a neighbor's apartment and zapped his schoolmates during horseplay that sent a dozen youngsters to the hospital yesterday - "Nobody thought it was dangerous. Everybody thought it was fun."
posted by radio_mookie (4 comments total)

When I saw this:

"This is not a Columbine," Sgt. John Gillem said outside Elmhurst Hospital

I sighed in relief...finally, I thought, someone who understands. Then came...

the Board of Education said he was suspended and will receive counseling.

I can understand "suspended," especially considering stun guns are illegal there. But counseling? If I was given counseling every time I did something stupid as a kid, I'd still be seeing a shrink! Geez.
posted by CrayDrygu at 9:26 AM on April 5, 2001

Counseling doesn't mean therapy... It might just mean somebody who knows what they're doing will talk to the kid about the situation and make sure he understands why what he did was wrong. I'd rather the school just counsel the kid than suspend him without counseling.
posted by techgnollogic at 12:11 PM on April 5, 2001

still, you have to wonder that the kid doesn't realize that sending many volts of electricity through your body is Not A Good Thing. Hell, my kid knows that, and he's half the age of these idiots.

hey! there's a sharp stick! let's poke it in someone's eye! it'll be fun!
posted by fuzzygeek at 5:24 PM on April 5, 2001

"you have to wonder that the kid doesn't realize that sending many volts of electricity through your body is Not A Good Thing"

Not really. Unlike your sharp stick example, stun guns are supposed to cause no permanent damage. It's the entire reason they're available.

Of course, that assumes proper use. Shock someone in the back of the neck for 30 seconds, and I bet you'll do some damage.
posted by CrayDrygu at 5:37 PM on April 5, 2001

« Older Chinese F-8 interceptor flying underneath U.S. Nav...  |  "Straight Pride" Sweatshirt Me... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments