Skip

Why are these people still together?
April 22, 2001 7:33 AM   Subscribe

Why are these people still together? Or maybe they should get married, eh? (By the way, the page is really long, but do a string search for "hit the ground running".)
posted by Steven Den Beste (15 comments total)

Link from Firing Squad.
posted by Steven Den Beste at 7:36 AM on April 22, 2001

Ancient link. Still, a very fun webpage, and certainly people can stay together and still argue. The worst thing is that a newspaper asked permission to reprint parts of it, and when the guy refused, proceeded to print parts of it verbatim, w/ lame segues, and pass it off as original writing. The guy who runs the site said he's not going to sue or anything because it'd be a huge hassle, but that he won't be updating the site because of it. Huge loss to the rest of us.
posted by dcodea at 8:02 AM on April 22, 2001

oops, silly me for assuming that that was the end of it. Theres a link on the page, and it HAD indeed been updated since I last read it.

Read the story here
posted by dcodea at 8:14 AM on April 22, 2001

Woooah. In a weird synchronicity moment, this also appeared in The Guardian yesterday with the "101 things we don't miss" article.

Am I the only one spun out by this?
posted by fullerine at 8:36 AM on April 22, 2001

I wouldn't know. What does "spun out" mean? As to the Guardian, this may not be coincidence. It may be where Firing Squad got the link.
posted by Steven Den Beste at 8:59 AM on April 22, 2001

Oye, I read about a quarter of it and started getting queasy. At first glance, it sounds like a nutty girlfriend, but two things should be mentioned. 1) These comments are his spin on what really happened, and 2), to use a cliche, it takes two to tango. I don't see him walking out the door, so one must therefore assume that he likes it, or at least tolerates it.

Who's to say they're not perfect for each other? I think they should grow old together, if only so that they don't inflict this sickness on anybody else in this world. I wish them well....
posted by bicyclingfool at 9:46 AM on April 22, 2001

Antagonism has been the spark for many a relationship; for some, it is the only way to kindle a flame, eh? Not me, though...I like things more tranquil.
posted by davidmsc at 10:28 AM on April 22, 2001

actually I think that page is hilarious. he's very funny. and I'll bet she's a peach. :)
posted by rebeccablood at 11:06 AM on April 22, 2001

I think they're obviously meant for each other. As the FAQ states, "the secret of a successful relationship is to become irretrievably embroiled in a bitter struggle to the death." Amen to that.
posted by rcade at 12:37 PM on April 22, 2001

My-I haven't laughed that hard in quite awhile...thanks!
posted by black8 at 3:37 PM on April 22, 2001

From the FAQ:

Are you and Margret still together?

Lord yes. As I've said before, the secret of a successful relationship is to become irretrievably embroiled in a bitter struggle to the death. Anyway, if we weren't still together the title of the page would be Things My Former Girlfriend And I Argued About. Which, admittedly, would be a shame as it would mean losing the snappy acronym TMGAIHAA in favour of the clumsy and crashingly uneuphonic TMFGAIAA.

Good luck with the struggle to the death part, but they should have held off on having children.
posted by skallas at 4:50 PM on April 22, 2001

Come on, this is obviously exaggeration for comic effect. If you read around on Mil's site, he's clearly a pretty happy guy, just one with a very tart sense of humor.
posted by rodii at 5:47 PM on April 22, 2001

Whether her cutting our son's hair comes under 'money-saving skill' or 'therapy in the making'.

my husband's sporting a fresh new do tonight.
heh
posted by auntbunny at 7:46 PM on April 22, 2001

This is an interesting one: it had big meme-traffic in the UK a good few months ago; was plagiarised by a columnist in one of the national dailies; and is now being serialised verbatim as a "column" in the Grauniad's (frankly awful) rejigged (read: dumbed-down) Saturday glossy mag.

It's Mahir -- quirky site becomes commercial venture -- on a smaller scale.
posted by holgate at 9:19 PM on April 22, 2001

...and then the following year I double posted it.

(Oh no, I'd been out-posted. How could I be so sloppy? I reached for the knife to punish myself... hollo-cliche-kitten-mahir-aybabtu-way they'd call me, bitches..hollo-cliche-kitten-mahir-aybabtu-way they'd whisper as I slumped down the corridors to mefi locker 1205. But then I saw a goofy comment I wrote on the apology homepage years and years ago. I'd show everyone, show everyone
posted by holloway at 1:40 AM on May 1, 2002

« Older Death by Information:   |   Do something for Earth Day. Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments