Join 3,438 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Mitch Haile's Office
February 25, 2009 5:37 AM   Subscribe

Mitch Haile's office requires some explanation.
posted by odinsdream (29 comments total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Mitch Haile's office requires a big red button.
posted by popcassady at 5:46 AM on February 25, 2009 [2 favorites]

Great find, cheers.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:51 AM on February 25, 2009

I'm glad you posted that because I've been wondering if there was an explanation behind Mitch Haile's office.
posted by DU at 5:57 AM on February 25, 2009 [3 favorites]

Somehow it seems appropriate that the person who built that posts a 4000 word interview with himself on his site.
posted by dydecker at 5:57 AM on February 25, 2009 [7 favorites]

Thanks to this post I learned how to make my mouse cursor bigger. No more shaking my arm violently shouting "Where's my fucking mouse?!"
posted by chillmost at 5:58 AM on February 25, 2009 [4 favorites]

No, it doesn't need an explanation: this is what happens if you were to get a dork to remodel the inside of your house.

I'm betting that the coffee stained mousemat, USB pop tart warmer and dog eared copy of the latest Victoria's Secret catalogue were momentarily stashed while the photo was taken.
posted by MuffinMan at 6:01 AM on February 25, 2009

I wonder to what extent that site was motivated by a desire to document the place for income tax purposes.
posted by exogenous at 6:02 AM on February 25, 2009 [2 favorites]

Check out the links to other impressive offices. (fav.)
posted by From Bklyn at 6:06 AM on February 25, 2009

Its linked in the FAQ but I need to point out Stefan Didak's Office.

The conduit question was mine! I'm famous!
posted by Skorgu at 6:09 AM on February 25, 2009 [1 favorite]

hmmm..

I once had a bedroom in my house converted into a, as my wife called it, Command center... this was nearly 10 years ago...

I had four computers (one pc, a macplus, a 20th anniversary mac, and a G3 desktop), all my video equipment, scanner, 6 piece component stereo setup, a TV set, two VCR's, Video converters, slide projector, and all my 35mm and digital (old school apple camera) photo equipment. All on a massive u shaped computer desk with various hutches.

It didn't look that different... and I didn't think it was anything special at the time, just what I needed to have fun and do just a tiny bit of work.

i'm willing to bet there there are more setups out there like this then we suspect... most people just don't blog about their desk..
posted by HuronBob at 6:10 AM on February 25, 2009

Great find, thanks.

(I'm not over-exposed to geekdom, so I found the caption descriptions strangely soothing 'in these uncertain times..'. That's my dime store self-analysis anyway!)
posted by Jody Tresidder at 6:16 AM on February 25, 2009

No, most people DO blog about their desk. They just aren't fortunate enough to have it posted here.
posted by DU at 6:17 AM on February 25, 2009

That person has a lot of monitors!
posted by everichon at 6:25 AM on February 25, 2009

I need to point out Stefan Didak's Office.

Its Sinclair ZX-81 has the 16KB memory expansion pack.

showoff...
posted by Joe Beese at 6:54 AM on February 25, 2009

Any home office without a sofa for napping is a sadly incomplete home office.
posted by stupidsexyFlanders at 6:56 AM on February 25, 2009 [7 favorites]

With more people working at home, isolated from other people, I suppose this sort of "pictures of your office" meme will catch on as a way to be social. Of course, like casemoders, it only works if you have a kick ass office. This need to socialize the office space could create a whole new sub-culture of one-upsmanship of building out ridiculous office spaces. Wired will do a featured article on it, WSJ gets in on it, perhaps one of the mainstream CBS/NBC/ABC does a story. There is even a fanzine. It gets a silly name, like "office-moders". A new industry develops with blueprints, and then ready-made custom office spaces.
posted by stbalbach at 7:04 AM on February 25, 2009 [4 favorites]

I wasn't going to read it, because who cares, and then discovered I had read the whole thing- every word. I still don't care, but it was a nice little break. Plus I now know how to make the cursor bigger. (please add a tag for that)
posted by nax at 7:20 AM on February 25, 2009

stbalbach: see, you think you're joking... but... check out Deskography... and Fog Creek's office gets covered by the New York Times...
posted by jacobian at 7:20 AM on February 25, 2009

If he just had 1d3 monitors, his office would require a lot less explanation.
posted by Foosnark at 7:34 AM on February 25, 2009

Great find. Neat post!
posted by KokuRyu at 7:35 AM on February 25, 2009

That's cool. I think, "I'd love a set up like that!" Then I think, "But what would I do with it?" Then I think, "I'd love a set up like that!"
posted by cjorgensen at 7:43 AM on February 25, 2009 [3 favorites]

Pointed out already, but subtly, so I'll repeat it: no one should miss the click to the parody at the bottom of that. It's a nice tonic afterward.

(At least it is from my meagre home office—which I've lately pimped out with, gasp, a working desk lamp and a blanket, both of which keep me warm and save on heating bills! That's right, I get heat from my lamp. It's like how indigenous peoples use all parts of the animals they kill. I say thank you every time I turn it on as well.)
posted by roombythelake at 7:57 AM on February 25, 2009 [4 favorites]

I think I'll stick with a desk more like Andy Rooney's... that silly old kook, god love him.
posted by adamms222 at 7:58 AM on February 25, 2009

I'm pretty sure the Flickr pool Annotated workspaces has been mentioned on Mefi before. There was also a show us your tits desk thread.

So, yeah, we're a bunch of desk geeks.
posted by adamrice at 8:25 AM on February 25, 2009

I came here for a matrix joke, I leave disappointed? (Honestly didn't this remind anyone else of the screens in the first matrix movie? Especially with the green on black on the left two monitors.)
posted by Hactar at 9:46 AM on February 25, 2009

I can explain it for you ADD.
posted by pianomover at 9:47 AM on February 25, 2009

I was going to link to the Metatalk desk thread. I like knowing where the magic happens for you guys.
posted by These Premises Are Alarmed at 10:05 AM on February 25, 2009

Magic?
posted by everichon at 5:26 PM on February 25, 2009

You know, I have a friend who works for a new cutting edge type company, and their culture is all about 'multiple screens'. They swear that this is a growing concept in workplaces.

Typically, the normal desk worker has 3 screens and one computer. Once screen is locked on email, the second is usually always on a datawarehouse or something like that, and the third is for all the other work. My friend says it is pretty nice once you get used to it.
posted by UseyurBrain at 5:35 PM on February 25, 2009

« Older For your viewing pleasure, a rat staring contest....  |  Ex-Masturbator... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments