Join 3,442 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

World War I Posters
October 8, 2009 11:48 AM   Subscribe

From the Prints & Photographs Division Library of Congress - browse through more than 1900 World War I posters. You can also search or look by subject heading. [via]

Jpegs & Tiffs available for each image in the collection.
Join the Air Service. Learn - Earn.
Enlist (or we'll show you more creepy pictures).
Victory Girls.
Food will win the war.
Men Wanted - Over 31 years of age.
Our boys need sox - knit your bit.
20 at home to 1 in the trenches.
In time of war, prepare for peace.
The Tidal Wave - 95 ships launched July 4th, 1918.
Before sunset to-day, buy a liberty bond.
posted by cashman (8 comments total) 23 users marked this as a favorite

Sweet! Thanks. I love the aesthetics of these posters.
posted by elder18 at 11:53 AM on October 8, 2009

Awesome. Thanks.
posted by craven_morhead at 12:25 PM on October 8, 2009

Nice!
posted by brundlefly at 1:25 PM on October 8, 2009

Wow. They aren't messing around. The small resolution JPEG version is 52 kilobytes, then the higher resolution version JPEG is 117 kb, and finally the uncompressed archival TIFF version, a 74 megabyte download. Crikey! And each with scale and color calibration key!
posted by filthy light thief at 1:28 PM on October 8, 2009

I think it's fair to say that the Library of Congress rarely messes around.
posted by craven_morhead at 2:18 PM on October 8, 2009 [3 favorites]

I spent some time at the Library of Congress. Great people, some of the most brilliant people I ever met (also mostly introverted, well, at least the catalogers). Anyway, the staff there are very committed to digitizing everything they possibly can. They have so much material that you and I have no chance of seeing unless they put it online, and they are working their asses off to get it there. Good people, great organization.
posted by kathrineg at 8:07 PM on October 8, 2009 [1 favorite]

These are truly incredible. There's a few prints I'd love to have framed and on my wall.
posted by Mick at 5:09 AM on October 9, 2009

If you like what you see here, please write or call your congressperson and senators and tell them how much you appreciate the Library of Congress! They have a great reputation on the Hill already, but every little bit of public support counts.
posted by kathrineg at 8:24 AM on October 9, 2009

« Older On October 9th, NASA spacecraft will run into the ...  |  "I wanted that kid to lose sle... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments