Join 3,374 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Slope View
April 18, 2010 7:43 AM   Subscribe

A crew from Google is capturing images of the Vail and Beaver Creek mountains for its Google Maps' Street View with its own snowmobile mounted with a special camera. Shortly before the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in February, Google decided to branch out to ski resorts, using a snowmobile to capture images of Whistler ski area. Vail and Beaver Creek are the first American ski resorts to be included in Street View.
posted by netbros (10 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

NO GOOGLES IN THE WILDERNESS!
posted by parmanparman at 7:46 AM on April 18, 2010

But I thought Google was supposed to be green? Don't snow machines blow off much more smog than a regular car because of the two-stroke engine?
posted by mccarty.tim at 8:19 AM on April 18, 2010

Incidentally, I believe that's why Sarah Palin is so big on them.
posted by mccarty.tim at 8:21 AM on April 18, 2010

A guy I knew in undergrad had family who owned a whole stable of snowmobiles. About 3/4 of them had newer 4-stroke engines. They were Yamaha fans; I don't know about the rest of the manufacturers. This was also 5 years ago; don't know what the current situation is...
posted by Alterscape at 9:02 AM on April 18, 2010

In what sense is a ski resort wilderness?
posted by klanawa at 10:00 AM on April 18, 2010

No joke intended, but within 15 years don't be surprised if Google has fleets of camera-enabled hoverbots mapping every square foot of large swaths of public land. Using snowmobiles will seem like a quaint relic from a bygone era.
posted by Burhanistan at 11:13 AM on April 18, 2010

"But I thought Google was supposed to be green? Don't snow machines blow off much more smog than a regular car because of the two-stroke engine?"

Most new snowmobiles are 4 strokes because of emissions.
posted by Mitheral at 12:30 PM on April 18, 2010

Hmmm, no Utah resorts. Snow must be too powdery for Google's snowmobile.
posted by pashdown at 5:01 PM on April 18, 2010

I live in Wisconsin. I expect soon that Google will be providing Lake Bottom View for those late-season snowmobilers.
posted by dhartung at 11:07 PM on April 18, 2010

World's Largest Beaver Dam Is Visible From Space
posted by homunculus at 12:51 AM on May 7, 2010

« Older Service dogs for PTSD are changing the lives of bo...  |  Instead of letting corporal pu... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments