Fuckin’ nerds. How do they work?
August 10, 2010 12:53 PM Subscribe
Abhay Khosla reviews comics for the Savage Critics.
posted by kipmanley (15 comments total)
5 users marked this as a favorite
—In April of 2008, he posted “Why Do Nerdy Things Work? Abhay Rereads Blue Beetle, Episode I,”
the first post in an “irregular, multipart series” that ended up being about much, much more than the John Rogers
era of the most recent retooling of the Blue Beetle.
- Part 1: “Not an auspicious beginning no, but it does get better…”
- Part 2: “This is the DCU and the DCU is built on top of a frothy cake of whimsy and bullshit.”
- Part 3: “Includes (i) the time Blue Beetle meets the New Gods, (ii) the time Blue Beetle hangs out with Green Lantern, (iii) the time Blue Beetle meets the Batman, (iv) the time Blue Beetle meets Superman, (v) the time Blue Beetle meets the Teen Titans, (vi) the time Blue Beetle met the Spectre, and (vii) the time Woody Harrelson taught Blue Beetle to retain his ching.” (—Also: an out-of-nowhere digression about Starman.)
- Part 4: “The Tristan 2 is waterproof and made of a silicone material, which is heat-resistant, nonstick, and easy to clean.”
- Part 5: “Why elves? Why mecha? Why Trekkers? Why Browncoats? —Why mystery men? Why rocket men? Why invisible men? Why pulp? Why vampires, why werewolves, why creatures from the Black Lagoon? Why space opera, why slipstream, why sci-fi? Why splatterpunk, why steampunk, why cyberpunk, why mundane SF? Why Max Headroom? Why Mad Max? Why Sam & Max? Why Samwise Gamgee? Why cons? Why cosplay? Why LARP, why TMBG, why TARDIS? Why Felicia Day? Why Freddie, why Jason, why Eli Roth? Why kaiju, why Aeris, why 42? Why IDW, why BOOM!, why Oni? Why Marvel? Why DC?”