Join 3,427 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

The Force of Virtue
October 25, 2010 11:48 AM   Subscribe

The 99 (previously), the Islamic-inspired superheroes which have met both praise and somewhat batshit controversy, are crossing over with the DC Universe.
posted by Artw (22 comments total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

In case anyone else didn't know what they were either, these are the 99 attributes of Allah that inspired the characters.

I look forward to finding what superpower "The Nourisher" entails.
posted by Joe Beese at 11:56 AM on October 25, 2010 [1 favorite]

I look forward to finding what superpower "The Nourisher" entails.

Probably some form of chlorokinesis.
posted by jedicus at 12:02 PM on October 25, 2010

My main beef with The 99 is that the English words for the attributes are approximations that can vary with context, so making some kind of list of heroes with corresponding powers might become some sort of false codex to some people who don't know any better. Otherwise, it's just another milk water comic.
posted by Burhanistan at 12:04 PM on October 25, 2010

Obviously, the Nourisher will be product placement for Campbell's Halal soup, which is the latest anti-Christian thing to hit the market.

Ugh.
posted by mccarty.tim at 12:04 PM on October 25, 2010

Nice link, thanks.
posted by KirkJobSluder at 12:04 PM on October 25, 2010

From the "controversy" link, they're seriously objecting to a superhero wearing a concealing costume? It's like saying "Look at their comic book character Spider-Man, who fights crime in a head-to-toe burqa! Clearly this is an expression of American cultural and religious law that mandates oppression and enslavement of spider-men."
posted by XMLicious at 12:04 PM on October 25, 2010 [4 favorites]

kind of like Matter-Eater Lad, but in reverse.
posted by Artw at 12:05 PM on October 25, 2010

kind of like Matter-Eater Lad, but in reverse.

White Hole Boy! Appearing at the Gay Pride Parade!
posted by lumpenprole at 12:09 PM on October 25, 2010

Or maybe like Molecule Man, except he turns inedible matter into tasty and nutritious halal foodstuffs.
posted by jedicus at 12:10 PM on October 25, 2010

> I look forward to finding what superpower "The Nourisher" entails.

Probably some form of chlorokinesis.

Nah, all of the attributes are supernatural, and not reliant on ways and means. "Be and it is", etc.
posted by Burhanistan at 1:16 PM on October 25, 2010

Y'know, I got no problem with Muslim comic book heroes, but this shit just looks like the fucking Power Pack to me. I'm afraid if I buy an issue, it's all going to be about how I should stop doing drugs because they're haram and make my nourishing power not work or some shit.
posted by klangklangston at 1:25 PM on October 25, 2010

If your having Ahjar Al Noor problems I feel bad for you son...
posted by Damienmce at 1:30 PM on October 25, 2010

> If your having Ahjar Al Noor problems I feel bad for you son...

Try cutting back on the sugary drinks and they'll pass eventually.
posted by Burhanistan at 1:36 PM on October 25, 2010

I'm afraid if I buy an issue, it's all going to be about how I should stop doing drugs...

Why would a comic inspired by Islamic religious beliefs be any less lame than a comic inspired by Christian religious beliefs?
posted by Joe Beese at 1:56 PM on October 25, 2010

Heh. Whenever I encountered the Power Pack it would be during an X-Men crossover and it'd be the middle of the Mutant Massacre or Wolverine would be gutting some marauders or something.
posted by Artw at 1:58 PM on October 25, 2010

Why would a comic inspired by Islamic religious beliefs be any less lame than a comic inspired by Christian religious beliefs?

I think klang was reacting to the art and character design, Joe.

Whenever I encountered the Power Pack

I was a Marvel zombie in the '80's and have a stack of Power Pack comics in the basement to this day.
posted by Zed at 3:26 PM on October 25, 2010

What was with the shoes?
posted by Artw at 4:40 PM on October 25, 2010

The giant shoes were after my time. But at a guess, same thing that was with Impulse's shoes over at DC. I blame manga.
posted by Zed at 5:17 PM on October 25, 2010

From the "controversy" link, they're seriously objecting to a superhero wearing a concealing costume?

How can we expect anyone to enjoy a comic book that lacks scantily-clad superheroes with impossibly-large breasts? Won't someone please think of the children??
posted by mek at 5:26 PM on October 25, 2010

Clearly this is an expression of American cultural and religious law that mandates oppression and enslavement of spider-men."

To be fair, Spider-Men have met with extreme prejudice and bigotry from society at large, particularly suffering constant and continuing demonization in the news media.
posted by Sangermaine at 8:35 PM on October 25, 2010 [2 favorites]

While not as bad as the Brown Bomber, I can't imagine they'll be popular. I'm reminded more of the Burger King Kids Club Gang than anything else.

The Marvel character Sooraya Qadir is a much better example of an Islamic comic book character.
posted by dragoon at 12:53 AM on October 26, 2010

Oh God I hope they fight lightning-riding sharks that would be so awesome, and also logical.
posted by No-sword at 4:58 AM on October 26, 2010

« Older Aaron Gouveia and his wife were already having the...  |  I'm sure you remember the time... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments