Join 3,513 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Funny defacements spotted in public places
October 27, 2010 2:06 PM   Subscribe

Defaced.me is a blog all about rejoicing in spotting things that have been drawn on, torn apart, covered in stickers, or just plain sullied.
posted by antgly (20 comments total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

"A photo blog all about people ruining other people’s stuff cuz it’s funny."

Oh. Yay. 4chan is over there, actually.
posted by bitmage at 2:08 PM on October 27, 2010 [3 favorites]

lulz?
posted by kuatto at 2:12 PM on October 27, 2010

This is gonna go downhill from here....

Vandalized.com

assaulted.net

terrorized.org

declaredwar.biz

......and so on....
posted by HuronBob at 2:14 PM on October 27, 2010

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like a pussy, I don't know about that "ruining other people's stuff" angle.

But pictures of ghetto stuff is cool.
posted by randomkeystrike at 2:28 PM on October 27, 2010

Completely worth it for this one.

Which I guess I would know if I kept with Meet the Lady.

God this Internet is a small place.

A small, small place getting smaller all the time.

posted by MCMikeNamara at 2:33 PM on October 27, 2010

This would be awesome if they set the bar a bit higher. Geordi Washington was cute but tall men need not limbo for this.
posted by munchingzombie at 2:35 PM on October 27, 2010

Need NSFW added.

Tons of bathroom humor and senseless vulgarity with the occasional gem such as the universe seen through a hole in a brick wall.
posted by Bort at 2:45 PM on October 27, 2010

Seen a lot of these on Hacked IRL.
posted by scratch at 2:54 PM on October 27, 2010

Yet another tumblr blog filled with images from elsewhere and in this case hotlinking images from flickr that are All Rights Reserved. Both add up to being very negative.
posted by episodic at 3:18 PM on October 27, 2010

My apologies - the hotlinking was not happening. It's just the blatant copying instead. That's actually worse.
posted by episodic at 3:21 PM on October 27, 2010

disheveled.com

Every Monday through Friday, featuring a photo of me, taken about 5:30 PM.
posted by marxchivist at 3:43 PM on October 27, 2010 [1 favorite]

Since it's tumblr, I guess it's unlikely the site will get hacked & defaced.

Shame.
posted by sodium lights the horizon at 4:30 PM on October 27, 2010

How many times do I gotta click 'next' before I get to the funny ones?
posted by PuppyCat at 5:47 PM on October 27, 2010

Some of the defaced currency is funny (especially this Aladdin Sane-style Mexican banknote), and just one or two of the other things; the rest is crap that only a bored junior high student could love. I mean, really bored.
posted by Halloween Jack at 6:07 PM on October 27, 2010

Yeah, I'm anti-"other people's stuff"-defacing.

If you want to take something of yours and write, scribble, slash or otherwise deface it? I'm there.
posted by misha at 6:36 PM on October 27, 2010

Full-disclosure: I am an admin on DEFACED (and of Meet The Lady, incidentally), and a bunch of the more recent images are photos I took. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that more people aren't as entertained by this stuff as I am. It fascinates me to see who decides to scrawl what, where. And the wide gulf that stretches between brainless (and even unintentional) humor and more clever/artistic stuff. And while I'm not all about defacing other people's stuff per se, I totally enjoy seeing the defacing of advertising. Some of them aren't funny at all, but I find them all pretty interesting.

Anyhow, guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.
posted by hermitosis at 6:43 AM on October 28, 2010

This animation was pretty mind-blowing. That's a -lot- of work. I kept bein' distracted by the work over clean brick: either a lot of that raw-brick charm is lost forever or else someone -else- now has a lot of work.
posted by Ogre Lawless at 7:36 AM on October 28, 2010

There's a neat example of this, without crossing the line, that I passed on the way to work all this week.

There's a "XXXXXXX for Congress" yard sign on the side of the highway on-ramp and someone put a small sign in front of it which says "Politician for Hire."

I was tempted to snap a photo and post it somewhere, but while the politician is the one I oppose, I don't know that the accusation is any more accurate than it would be for almost every other politician in America anyway. So I just admire the commentary, the execution, the fact that it doesn't actually deface the original poster, just adds context, and I drive by without spreading the accusation.
posted by MatthewTie at 7:37 AM on October 28, 2010 [1 favorite]

this
  night
    wounds
       time,
posted by Herodios at 2:33 PM on October 28, 2010

It could use some Facebook and Twitter share links at the end of each post.
posted by antgly at 3:08 PM on October 28, 2010

« Older Two critiques of steampunk: The Hard Edge of Empir...  |  Wow, what a life for Dana Gill... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments