Join 3,375 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Steam Punk
October 28, 2010 12:27 PM   Subscribe

Captain Sensible travels on the historic Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch steam railway to Dungeness

Captain Sensible visits Hamburg Hauptbahnhof
Captain Sensible trainspotting In Dawlish
The Damned go Steam Crazy
posted by fearfulsymmetry (18 comments total) 25 users marked this as a favorite

Brilliant post. I learned there is a gateway to Romney Marsh, saw a train that might have me on it going through a bit of one of the nicect stratches of coastal rail journeys in the country and also learned that Captain Sensible has kept a lovely head fo hair. And that's without the sound working on my machine.
posted by biffa at 12:39 PM on October 28, 2010

Wot?
posted by malocchio at 12:39 PM on October 28, 2010 [5 favorites]

Brilliant post title. Wish I could favorite it on its own! Rest of the post is great too though, so I'll fave the whole thing ...
posted by kcds at 12:43 PM on October 28, 2010 [2 favorites]

The Damned sure have lots of interesting hobbies.
posted by cazoo at 12:45 PM on October 28, 2010

Nice. Thanks!
posted by carter at 12:57 PM on October 28, 2010

Punks not (in the) (potting) shed!
posted by Artw at 1:01 PM on October 28, 2010

"I sound like an old fart."

Yes. An old fart in a leather jacket who's been there, done that and is still charmed by this little railway. Great hair, sure, but *great grin.* He just looks glad to be there. Thanks for posting!
posted by MonkeyToes at 1:08 PM on October 28, 2010 [1 favorite]

wot!

this brightened my day, and the final destination at the end just icing on the cake (i suspected that's where the Captain was headed when I saw the sign for the end of the line).

cheers!
posted by kuppajava at 1:21 PM on October 28, 2010

Ah, how I loved the Dr. Syn books as a lad. Wish I still had 'em.
posted by Decani at 1:29 PM on October 28, 2010

There's another Dungeness? Dammit. For a minute there, I fantasized that there was a US Pacific NW steam train I hadn't heard of.
posted by asfuller at 1:36 PM on October 28, 2010

This is ace! Charmed and charming. The Captain should do a series with Kevin Mccloud.... Dungeness really is like another world - as well as the shacks and the power station there is a pub with "Spitfire" ales and very good chips, and an RSPB nature reserve threatened by airport plans - imagine planes landing so close to that power station!
posted by runincircles at 3:08 PM on October 28, 2010

Pop quiz, hotshot. You have a choice: support Motörhead, or take a trip by steam train to Romney Marsh. What do you do?

What do you do?
posted by Fiasco da Gama at 3:43 PM on October 28, 2010

Are YOU going to tell Lemmy to his face that you're not supporting him?
posted by delfin at 7:06 PM on October 28, 2010

There's a 15" gauge railway located in the Wisconsin Dells area, the Riverside & Great Northern^. It is named after Riverside Park in Janesville, its original location, and used to service excursion traffic up to the park from downtown (all of a mile or two).
posted by dhartung at 10:45 PM on October 28, 2010

There's another Dungeness?

Dungeness is a quite astonishingly apocalyptic place: a vast shingle beach punctuated by tiny, weather-blasted houses and the odd Derek Jarman sculpture, all loomed over by a pair of nuclear power stations.
posted by ninebelow at 2:32 AM on October 29, 2010

Glad people found it as charming as I did... I could watch a whole television series of this stuff.
posted by fearfulsymmetry at 4:52 AM on October 29, 2010

It *was* charming. Related: Have you seen "Full Circle with Michael Palin"?

"The Journey Begins," here.
posted by MonkeyToes at 5:02 AM on October 29, 2010

There's another Dungeness? Dammit. For a minute there, I fantasized that there was a US Pacific NW steam train I hadn't heard of.
posted by asfuller at 9:36 PM on October 28

You may be very surprised just how many of your US town names were nicked from / transported from the old country.
posted by Decani at 7:49 AM on October 29, 2010

« Older Charlie and Spike are two kittens with Myotonia Co...  |  The dhole, the maned wolf, and... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments