Look at (Vintage London) Life
December 29, 2010 6:41 PM Subscribe
posted by madamjujujive (15 comments total)
40 users marked this as a favorite
, swinging London of 1960s and SOHO bohemian Coffee Bars of London, 1959
. These are a few of the 500+ vintage documentary shorts called "Look at Life" that ran at the Odeon and Gaumont cinemas during the 50s and 60s. (via Dangerous Minds)Market Place
- 1950s - from "old school" London markets to the introduction of the supermarket.
Scooter Commuter, 1962
- a gathering at London's Crystal Palace for a mass scooter rally featuring a grand parade of all the scooters. Also a brief history of the scooter, including a small WWII version that was used by paratroopers; and a look at scooter manufacture and proving grounds.
Fire over London, 1966
- The centenary of the London Fire Brigade, and the London Salvage Corps, their history, and a "modern" look at operations.
Members Only, 1965
- A look at the "private clubs" of London. From the famous political clubs of the 18th century to the gambling clubs and the bohemian night clubs of the West End.
Eating High, 1966
- a look at the 60's European trend of top-of-skyscraper revolving restaurants, including a close look at the challenges of running the restaurant at the top of London's Post Office Tower.
Down London River, 1959
- vintage footage of Parliament, Big Ben, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St Paul's Cathedral, Port of London, Cleopatra's Needle and more.
Goodbye, Piccadilly. 1967
- A pre-modernization look at both the above- and the under- ground Piccadilly Circus.