First world war – a century on, time to hail the peacemakers
"On the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War, we should remember those who tried to stop a catastrophe" [more inside]
's well known, some would say even cliched, contrarism jumped the shark, now they've gone so far as to defend Rob Liefeld
? [more inside]
The Morning Glory
might be the coolest cloud on the planet. [more inside]
The Oldie: Celebrating The Sulphurous Glory Of Old Fartdom
If you're a sozzled, bilious and deeply reactionary misanthropic Brit who's over 80, hates anything foreign (specially Americans) and stubbornly refuses to die just for the pleasure of spiting the youngsters, then The Oldie
is definitely the magazine for you. It couldn't be more "out of synch" with the "cool" MeFi "demographic" but it does share the same in-your-face fuckwittedness and I love it. Its unofficial editorial manifesto, drafted by the late, great Auberon Waugh, says it all:
1. Inveighing against the ignorance, idleness, stupidity, dishonesty and sexual incompetence of the young.
2. Insulting the young in any and every manifestation.
3. Insulting the old who seem to be deferring or otherwise sucking up to the young.
4. Promoting the idea of "age fascism" whereby the young are automatically seen as inferior.
5. Denouncing new things, new ideas, modernism in any form, especially anything proposed in the name of youth or by someone under the age of 40.[More inside]