Top Five Architecture Maps:
- Iconic Houses is an international network connecting architecturally significant houses from the 20th century that are open to the public as house museums. The Iconic Houses website includes a useful Google Map showing the location of architecturally significant houses around the world.
- Archilovers is a social network for architects, designers and lovers of architecture. Users of the network can post projects, exchange opinions and interests, and get to know designers and architects around the world.
- The World Architecture Map (WAM) is a database of architectural information that uses Google Maps to show the locations of architectural interesting buildings around the world. It is possible to search for buildings on WAM by location, building type, architectural style or by tags.
- Arti-Fact is great collection of architecturally important buildings and sculptures that can be found on Google Maps Street View.
- MIMOA is a Google Maps based guide to modern architecture around the world. It is possible to browse the collection of modern architectural gems by location and by type of project.
[via Google Maps Mania
The Google Street Art Project
is an online collection and exhibition about the history, locations and artists of street art.
all the street art exhibits by place, artist, collection, medium, and more. Part of the Google Cultural Institute
The New York Public Library has released more than 20,000 high resolution cartographic works (maps!) for free
, to view and download. "We believe these maps have no known US copyright restrictions." All can be viewed through the New York Public Library’s Digital Collections page
and downloaded through their Map Warper
. (Via) [more inside]
Follow Tom Cruise
as he navigates his way around Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut
Greenwich Village set [more inside]
Need quick visual shorthand for an aggressively encroaching political entity? You want an Cartographic Land Octopus
! It's a subcategory of satirical maps
. More octopus maps here
Atlas for the Blind, 1837:
"From the spectacular David Rumsey Map Collection
, the 1837 “Atlas of the United States Printed for the Use of the Blind
“, embossed heavy paper featuring lines, letters and geographical symbols, destined to help blind children to visualise geography. Here’s the whole book
with zoomable pages." [Via: Socks-Studio]
Running nearly 2000 kilometres through Western Australia, the Canning Stock Route
is the longest
stock route in the world. And since 2006, Indigenous Australians from WA's Mid-West, Pilbara, and Kimberley region have been sharing their stories about this region through the Canning Stock Route Project
. [more inside]
Museum/Spertus Institute for Jewish Studies has just canceled Imaginary Coordinates
due to complaints that some
of the artwork
(NSFW: nudity, disturbing imagery) in the exhibit had an anti-Israeli slant. [more inside]
Canada at scale:
Exploration, colonization and development. And a pop-up menu. Go, eh!
Zork - The Original Map.
This was too awesome not to post! (via)