The Kincaid Weekender
presents local news, politics, sports, theatre reviews, and keeps you up to date with goings on at the stockyards.
A pitch-perfect comedic take on small town New Zealand. Dryer than Flight of the Conchords, subtler than Night Vale.
Produced for the 2014 New Zealand Fringe Festival and written by award-worthy comedian Jonny Potts.
Nightmare in Maryville
- The Kansas City Star investigates the backlash against the victims family after rape charges were brought (and dropped) against local atheletes. The pattern of victim blaming and local indiference have brought comparisons
to the Steubenville, Ohio case (previously
) and anger on the internet
. Meanwhile the Grand Jury investigation into Steubenville has brought it's first charges against an adult involved with the cover-up
The town of Deer Trail, Colorado is considering hunting licences for federal drones. Deer Trail
is a small town in the plains of Colorado east of Denver, and claim they are the home to the worlds first rodeo (though that's open for interpretation)
. They've decided they don't want drones, and offer a bounty
for licensed hunters who bag a federal drone. The mayor of the town shows the proper technique for hunting them...
Why do the Somali men congregate on the sidewalks downtown?
Royal Ross, from the downtown business association
for Faribault, Minnesota
, a small town just outside Minneapolis, answers the question for you. The very short answer: everything's just fine.
Located 100 miles south of Grand Junction, Colorado, at the end of Highway 97 is a small community of Nucla
. There is one remaining pharmacy, the Apothecary Shoppe
, where you can find Don Colcord, the town druggist, the closest this town has to a doctor
. He's also the bowling league president (and he certifies the lanes annually), announcer for Nucla High football games, and he has his pyrotechnics-display license for the local fireworks on the Fourth of July. [more inside]
Perhaps Rochester, New Hampshire isn't the most exciting place on Earth, but that doesn't stop whomever writes the police log.
• 3:12 p.m. — On Winter Street by Fisher fields, two boys battle, neither yields. But a crowd and both the bruisers, disappear before the cruisers.
• 10:32 p.m. — On Tonka Street, a woman asks a neighbor if he needs "to light up" his old Camaro every night as it shakes her trailer. His answer appears to be in the affirmative
• 4:30 p.m. — A pit bull's on the Common, when no dog should ever be
• 5:36 p.m. — Screams erupt on Lafayette, with tinkling glass. A fight? You bet.
RC Soles, the longest serving NC state legislator, aged 75, shot a young man
who was allegedly trying to kick in the front door of his home in Tabor City
. According to his 97 year old father,“It's a bunch of drunk heads and drug heads trying to force him to keep giving them money
. That's my personal opinion.” But this is not the “younger” Soles first brush with scandal
Nebraska's small towns.
Some of the smaller
ones actually have a lot going on.
Some of the (slightly) larger ones,
maybe not so much.
But no matter how small they are, they do all have bars. Even the two smallest.
best cheapest places to live in America.