Top Five Architecture Maps:
- Iconic Houses is an international network connecting architecturally significant houses from the 20th century that are open to the public as house museums. The Iconic Houses website includes a useful Google Map showing the location of architecturally significant houses around the world.
- Archilovers is a social network for architects, designers and lovers of architecture. Users of the network can post projects, exchange opinions and interests, and get to know designers and architects around the world.
- The World Architecture Map (WAM) is a database of architectural information that uses Google Maps to show the locations of architectural interesting buildings around the world. It is possible to search for buildings on WAM by location, building type, architectural style or by tags.
- Arti-Fact is great collection of architecturally important buildings and sculptures that can be found on Google Maps Street View.
- MIMOA is a Google Maps based guide to modern architecture around the world. It is possible to browse the collection of modern architectural gems by location and by type of project.
[via Google Maps Mania
posted by Room 641-A
on Aug 20, 2014 -
Ian McClatchie, the Ambivalent Engineer, reminisces about his time on the Google Street View project.
"At the time I was hired, we had two copies of the first camera set, which I dubbed R1. These had been assembled by bolting five 11 megapixel CCD based book-scanning cameras (shown below) to a plywood board, and bolting that to the roof of a car, much of which was accomplished by Elliot Kroo when he was, if I'm not mistaken, 14 years old (youngest intern ever at Google). Neither R1 worked much, due to problems with the cameras, not Elliot!"
posted by daisyk
on Jul 3, 2014 -
Tencent Maps - Look at some of the remotest parts of China. While some of the off-the-beaten-path images on Tencent Maps are actually static panoramas, other more quirky routes offer full coverage for mile after mile, as seen on the Li river in Guangxi province where you can cruise on a boat amidst the famous karst peaks that don’t look like any other hill or mountain range you’ve ever seen before. [more inside]
posted by KokuRyu
on Feb 11, 2014 -
Address is Approximate.
"A lonely desk toy longs for escape from the dark confines of the office, so he takes a cross country road trip to the Pacific Coast in the only way he can – using a toy car and Google Maps Street View."
posted by BoringPostcards
on Nov 23, 2011 -
The official "StreetView" map of China is eerily reminiscent of SimCity, rendered in perfect isometric perspective without a pixel out of place: Shanghai
, the Forbidden City
, and Hong Kong
. That hasn't stopped companies from trying to create a more true-to-life photographic alternative: there is coverage of Hong Kong
in Google Street View; sanction to cover the rest of China appears to have been given to City8
, which covers 40 cities. (The latter site is in Chinese, but Chrome or language plugins do a decent job of translating the content). [more inside]
posted by Bora Horza Gobuchul
on Mar 17, 2011 -
The Nine Eyes of Google Street View
"It was tempting to see the images as a neutral and privileged representation of reality—as though the Street Views, wrenched from any social context other than geospatial contiguity, were able to perform true docu-photography, capturing fragments of reality stripped of all cultural intentions."
posted by dhruva
on Jan 7, 2010 -
To promote their soon-to-be-released album, In This Light and On This Evening (coming October 27), British indie rockers Editors
have made an interesting hack of Google Maps Street View. If you go to the Editors website here
, you can wander through the streets of London looking for landmarks set out by the band. [more inside]
posted by rocket88
on Oct 19, 2009 -
Everybody knows about the Google Van now, some love it
, some hate it
, but it has become an assumed condition now that, if you're near a street, Google Maps might have your picture (I'm at work!
). Living further off the path might seem like a solution to avoid detection, but Google has stepped off the roadway and into more scenic routes with the Google Tricycle
. Being unpowered and smaller allows Google to get their 360° photographs from vantage points other than the curb in front of your house. Google Street Views won't just include streets anymore: they plan to cover national parks, bicycle paths, college campuses
, theme parks, any any other public place which isn't exactly van-friendly.
posted by AzraelBrown
on Jul 15, 2009 -
Google now has the megacity of Tokyo photographed at the street level. Coverage is reasonably impressive
, from the end of the road
a couple of hours out of Musashi Itsukaichi, itself a couple of hours from Tokyo by train, to Narita Airport
, down to Enoshima
, and many
points in between. . .
posted by yort
on Aug 9, 2008 -