Ventilation in wet climates
March 14, 2011 4:39 AM   Subscribe

What would be the HVAC industry term for this sort of steel ventilation scoop which is open on the bottom? It's used in wet climates where you need a lot of airflow in/out of an unprotected exterior wall but don't want blowing rain or snow getting into your duct.

I'm looking for the generic industry term for that sort of thing, but extending even further "down". Imagine you have a 10 or 12 inch diameter duct with a big centrifugal blower that needs to suck in (or blow out) air through an exterior wall in a building located in a rainforest type climate. Something like this may be used, but what's the term for something that extends the "scoop" even further downwards to be absolutely certain horizontal rain won't get inside?
posted by thewalrus (4 comments total)

This post was deleted for the following reason: Belongs on not here -- vacapinta

Is this an ask?
posted by pracowity at 4:40 AM on March 14, 2011

Oh hell, I'm too sleepy to see the difference between the blue and the green. Any way to move it?
posted by thewalrus at 4:41 AM on March 14, 2011

Or just delete it and I'll recreate it on Ask, being sure my screen is green this time. So much for using inverted colour schemes to get white-on-black text in OSX at night.
posted by thewalrus at 4:42 AM on March 14, 2011

They're called downward-facing floop-whooshers where I come from.
posted by longsleeves at 4:52 AM on March 14, 2011 [2 favorites]

« Older Ceaseless generation of new perspectives   |   Joe Morello 1928–2011 Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments