Burning Down The House
February 27, 2014 9:20 PM   Subscribe

The Kickstarter for "Sad Pictures for Children" is in flames. John Campbell, author of the (currently blank) Pictures for Sad Children website (or is that the equally blank Sad Pictures for Children website?), an admired web-comic, has started burning the books his Kickstarter produced.

It seems that over 100 books have been burned thus far, one for every critical email he's received for stopping the Kickstarter rewards after 75% had been sent. The Kickstarter updates are now a screed on the commercialization of the effort, with Campbell claiming himself almost broke. An interesting intersection of art, art commercialization, and commercialization becoming art itself. Previously.
posted by Neale (2 comments total)

This post was deleted for the following reason: This seems like someone having a mental health crisis which makes it maybe not great post fodder. -- restless_nomad

The comments in the Kickstarter screed are suprisingly supportive and gentle. Which is nice.

On one hand they're saying some things that should be said, but it's not always what you say but how you say it.

On the other hand I want to ask him if s/he'll help pay my rent or give me a job, because they totally have more money/income than I do, and I probably need oral surgery more, too.

Yes, I could draw stick figures. Wee.

On the other-other hand I'm suddenly craving popcorn.
posted by loquacious at 9:30 PM on February 27, 2014

Ah Kickstarter. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
posted by 2bucksplus at 9:33 PM on February 27, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older The great Medieval water myth   |   Batman vs. The Terminator Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments