What if Dean Martin got shrunken down and put inside Jerry Lewis?
September 19, 2014 10:59 AM   Subscribe

Max Landis comments on 1987's Innerspace trailer. [SLYT]

Background on Max Landis (tldr: son of John Landis and Deborah Nadoolman Landis, Max is a screenwriter who wrote 2012's Chronicle).

Related: FanFare – Innerspace
posted by joseph conrad is fully awesome (22 comments total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I've been rewatching both Death and Return of Superman and Regarding Clark about once a week for the last few months. No idea why. I just love watching this man talk.
posted by cthuljew at 11:07 AM on September 19, 2014

I've been waiting for the right opportunity to post this!: Max Landis just wrote an SCP about a magical Tupac album that cracks unsolved mysteries.
posted by Iridic at 11:41 AM on September 19, 2014 [8 favorites]

Innerspace is a movie that was totally awesome (still is, actually), that if they tried to make today would be a massive screwed-up mess and a failure.
posted by hippybear at 11:55 AM on September 19, 2014 [7 favorites]

If Dean Martin had been shunk down and put into Jerry Lewis, Jerry Lewis would have died from a delighted, extended attack of of priapism. Does nobody read Datalounge any more?
posted by Auden at 11:57 AM on September 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure the only direction Dennis Quaid was given during this film was "No, act more like Han Solo. More! MORE!"
posted by dng at 12:36 PM on September 19, 2014 [3 favorites]

I imagine he'd catch a buzz at the very least.
posted by jonmc at 12:50 PM on September 19, 2014

All I have to say is: Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Cowboy
posted by General Tonic at 12:58 PM on September 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

I had a mega-crush on Dennis Quaid in this movie when I was like thirteen.
posted by leesh at 1:05 PM on September 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

Probably because he was such a pimp. I mean, what 13 year old can resist a pimp?
posted by item at 1:25 PM on September 19, 2014

Then expanded and boom! No more fucking Jerry Lewis #joy
posted by GallonOfAlan at 1:28 PM on September 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

All I remember about this movie is that I was on a date and accidentally said "Innerspace" instead of "Spaceballs" when buying the tickets, and we didn't bother straightening it out. To this day, I still haven't seen Spaceballs all the way through in one sitting.
posted by gimli at 1:41 PM on September 19, 2014

The practical effects of this movie are when practical effects were at a peak, in the late 80s, before CGI took over. A remake of this--I'm sure it'll happen eventually--will be CGI from start to finish and be totally forgettable. Innerspace is a really fun movie and seems to have been largely forgotten these days as well.
posted by zardoz at 2:16 PM on September 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

You made the right call, gimli (even if by accident). This movie is waaay better than Spaceballs.
posted by Atom Eyes at 2:59 PM on September 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

I loved this movie.

I still find myself saying, "Where's my Sub-Zero?" at moments of varying appropriateness.
posted by Mister Moofoo at 3:15 PM on September 19, 2014

Max Landis is an insufferable sociopath. Stop rewarding this horrible little narcissist with your eyeballs.
posted by smithsmith at 3:30 PM on September 19, 2014 [4 favorites]

The practical effects of this movie are when practical effects were at a peak, in the late 80s

Like that scene in the trailer where that guy is hanging between the back of the truck and the car... THAT WAS ACTUALLY FILMED! THAT WAS A GUY THERE, NOT A GREEN-SCREEN EFFECT!
posted by hippybear at 4:04 PM on September 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

Max Landis is an insufferable sociopath. Stop rewarding this horrible little narcissist with your eyeballs.

And start rewarding him with some other part of our bodies? No thank you.
posted by The World Famous at 5:04 PM on September 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

I don't care much for Innerspace beyond being a goofy action movie, but there's some really cool stuff on this Trailers From Hell thing, so thanks for that.
posted by buriednexttoyou at 5:38 PM on September 19, 2014

Does nobody read Datalounge any more?

Datalounge on MetaFilter?! It's like finding out your ex-boyfriend and your new boyfriend already know each other. I don't like it.
posted by MoxieProxy at 5:57 PM on September 19, 2014

Did you base your opinion on this little video or something else...? I don't understand.
posted by zardoz at 8:06 PM on September 19, 2014

I looked into it. Smithsmith might be referring to this interview, in which Landis reveals some pretty fucking repugnant attitudes towards women.
posted by Iridic at 8:48 PM on September 19, 2014 [2 favorites]

That amongst other things, Iridic...

I'm not going to hijack this thread by saying anything more.
posted by smithsmith at 8:54 PM on September 19, 2014

« Older @petenowa did u know u were "an angry black woman"...   |   "I thought, if I wasn't me, if I was someone else... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments