Synthetix.FM Ultimix 2014
December 27, 2014 2:15 PM   Subscribe

Too future.
posted by anarch at 3:47 PM on December 27, 2014

My new GTA playlist, thanks!
posted by chainlinkspiral at 4:40 PM on December 27, 2014

If this sort of stuff gets your whistle all sloppy wet, then you'll absolutely dig my dear friend Tyler's new band, Roladex. How they're not on this list is a real head-scratcher. Hell, you'll likely be into 95% of the bands on Medical Records, their label, run by another friend. Medical's main focus is remastered, gorgeously packaged, super-high quality vinyl reissues but lately they've been putting out contemporary artists as well.
posted by item at 7:43 PM on December 27, 2014

many thanks! not familiar with pretty much any of it, which is always good (will never understand in this internet age of "take 2 clicks and a single batch of keystrokes and you can hear whatever someone's just mentioned to you" why people find encountering the unfamiliar media-rec-wise off-putting...that's what the internet community is for, duh). can't wait to listen to this while i make hoppin' john on the 1st.
posted by ifjuly at 7:46 PM on December 27, 2014

Wow, item thank you for that link, this band is awesome!

I don't frequent synthetix.fm often but it does look like they wrote a review of Roladex's album Anthems for the Micro-Age.
posted by rebent at 9:26 PM on December 27, 2014

That certainly is a gushing review. It makes me wonder even more why they didn't include Roladex in their best-of.
posted by item at 10:09 PM on December 27, 2014

Since I'm home sick, here are the first five top 10 lists with links (and a few typo corrections). Links are to Bandcamp where possible (a great place to buy tracks direct from the artists); most other links are to SoundCloud. I might do the remaining lists later.

Top 10 Soundtrack Synth

1. Victory Theme - Myrone
2. Ninja Destiny - Cobra Copter
3. Mall - Protector 101
4. Don't Call Me Hero - OGRE
5. The World Is Gonna End Today - Tommy
6. China Sundown - LA Dreams
7. Frozen Soldiers - Python Blue & Jon Of The Shred
8. Manhattan Docks - Prof. Zonic Zynth
9. Rejects Of The Wasteland - Nightsatan
10. Leave With Us - 20SIX Hundred

Top 10 Electro Funk Synth

1. Breakazoid - Mitch Murder
2. Hairspray - Cobra Copter
3. Walk Like A Boss - Robert Parker [skip to 43:40]
4. Burning Desires - LA Dreams
5. Time Shock - STARFORCE & Action Jackson
6. DownTown - iamMANOLIS
7. Funk This Ship - Phaserland
8. Made In USSR - Pulse 80 & StereoSonic
9. Different Machine - Amazing Police
10. Break It Down - Phantom Ride

Top 10 OutRun Synth

1. Escape Without Control - Dana's Vision
2. Run For Home - Beckett
3. Throttle Up - Dynatron
4. Breaking The Bonds - 20SIX Hundred
5. It's Supercharged! - Botnit
6. PoWer Prostitute - NightStop
7. Crime Wave - Danger Mode
8. Dark Pursuit - Street Cleaner
9. Chrome Beach - KFDDA
10. Running Wild - Tokyo Rider

Top 10 Dark Synth

1. Cyberpolis - Noir Deco
2. Humans Are Such Easy Prey - Perturbator
3. Abandoned Streets (Pt II) - Jordan F
4. Giant Golden Naked Woman - Dan Terminus
5. L.A. Darkzone - Palm Highway Chase
6. Within - GosT
7. Dystopia - Nightcrawler (featuring Vincenzo Salvia)
8. Graveyard Shift - Dance With The Dead
9. The Centaurian Heist - Cluster Buster
10. Devil's Due - Street Cleaner

Top 10 Italo Disco Synth

1. Domenica - Vincenzo Salvia (featuring Giusi Telesca)
2. Same Road, Different Ways - Plaisance & Claudia Ortolani
3. I Wanna Love You Once Again - Ryan Paris
4. IL Stallone - Muscle
5. Time To Run - Supervox
6. My Energy World - Project A [I can't find any reference to this track other than the Synthetix.FM post]
7. Galatine - Mild Peril
8. Train Of My Youth - Olegris
9. Femme Fatale - James Baker [I found a few pages on the web that link to James Baker's tracks on SoundCloud and Bandcamp, but all of the links are dead – apparently he's removed all of his material from the web for some reason?]
10. Knight Of The Disco - Garth Knight
posted by escape from the potato planet at 10:34 AM on December 28, 2014 [4 favorites]

Humans Are Such Easy Prey - Perturbator

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
posted by fearfulsymmetry at 12:54 PM on December 28, 2014

So what exactly defines the "Outrun" subgenre, anway? And does its name come from the video game, or somewhere else?

As far as I can tell, it's a little more futuristic and cybernetic, play-acts at being as serious and humorless as a cyborg assassin (as opposed to the loose-booty fun of electro-funk), is extra devoted to sixteenth-note sequencer patterns, and tends to eschew solos and non-synth instruments.

Is that about right?

I mean, until I saw this post, I didn't even know the genre was big enough to have recognized subgenres, but apparently it is and does.
posted by escape from the potato planet at 5:06 PM on December 28, 2014

And I just re-listened to some of the Outrun tracks, and there are exceptions to like all of my criteria. I'm so confused.
posted by escape from the potato planet at 5:14 PM on December 28, 2014

EFTPP, I don't know! If I remember next friday, I'll ask the Project Friday chatroom if anybody has any ideas. Mostly I think it's just split into whatever subgenres one feels like splitting it into.
posted by rebent at 1:44 PM on December 29, 2014 [1 favorite]

I've seen "Outrun" used as a genre label elsewhere, though – it seems like it has some general currency. If you find anything out, I'll be interested to hear about it.
posted by escape from the potato planet at 4:57 PM on December 30, 2014

Item, I asked Rick and he said that Roladex was about 16 away from being in the top 10. My take: there's a heck of a lot of synth out there right now.
posted by rebent at 6:36 PM on January 7, 2015

« Older Turn away. Our creative lives are limited.   |   I'll admit my brains started leaking out of my... Newer »

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments