The Overdose - Harm in a Wired Hospital
April 3, 2015 7:24 AM Subscribe
The nurses and doctors summoned to the hospital room of 16-year-old Pablo Garcia early on the morning of July 27, 2013, knew something was terribly wrong. Just past midnight, Pablo had complained of numbness and tingling all over his body. Two hours later, the tingling had grown worse.
A five part series from Backchannel at Medium.
Part One - How Medical Tech Gave a Patient a Massive Overdose
Pablo Garcia went to the hospital feeling fine. Then the hospital made him very sick.
Part Two - Beware of the Robot Pharmacist
In tech-driven medicine, alerts are so common that doctors and pharmacists learn to ignore them — at the patient’s risk.
Part Three - Why Clinicians Let Their Computers Make Mistakes
We tend to trust our computers a lot. Perhaps too much, as one hospital nurse learned the hard way.
Part Four - Should Hospitals Be More Like Airplanes?
“Alarm fatigue” at Pablo Garcia’s hospital sent him into a medical crisis. The aviation industry has faced the same problem—and solved it.
Part Five - How to Make Hospital Tech Much, Much Safer
We identified the root causes of Pablo Garcia’s 39-fold overdose — and ways to avoid them next time.
Excerpted from The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine’s Computer Age, by Robert Wachter. McGraw-Hill, 2015.
This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments